Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yea, it was the letter writer's father who had been in York's squad. It's an interesting letter. The guy's dad wasn't going into the line with the others because of an injury and so York asked the man if he could take his 1903 with him into the line, which was one of the five or so 1903's that had all been stacked up together behind a mess tent when one of them saw the Five or Seven or so 03's all stacked together and jumped on the juicy opportunity to grab them up and run back to their squad with them. The son's dad told him that his 1903 must've been the rifle that York used in his exploits because it all occurred the next day or two after York left with it. That's how the 1903 came into the picture when everyone else (except for the other guy's with their 1903's) had 1917 Enfield's.
    As for whether or not an American soldier would dare to leave his issued 1917 for a 1903 Springfield he saw laying around, all I can say is that my grandpa, a WWI veteran, told me many times that his buddy, Fred Smith, said that in their Infantry unit, if they saw a 1903, they'd try to grab the 03 every time. Shades of Guadalcanal!
    Last edited by Fred; 03-23-2015 at 12:43.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Alvin York said that he used a 1903 Springfield
    A buddy of Alvin York who was in the same squad as York said that on the day York conducted his heroic act, he was carrying one of 1903 Springfield's that was one of several that'd been grabbed earlier (by one of their squad) from a bunch of them in Stack Arms behind a mess tent.
    I choose to believe York. Now I'm no "expert" on WWI and all that goes with it, so I'll just believe the men who were there and lived through it.
    Alvin York never said any such thing. The argument about which rifle Alvin used never came up until after he was dead. The names of the entire squad are public knowledge, so who was this fellow squad member who remembered all this forty years later when he was probably senile? FYI, none of the surviving squad members were Alvin's "buddy".

jt

3. Default

Fred seems to have different recollections of the story of the AR letter. Here's last year's attempt from another forum:

A few years ago, The American Rifleman magazine published a letter written to them by a man who's father had been in Yorks platoon in the Great War. This man's father had been wounded and had been sent to a field hospital for treatment. While there, he was visited by York who was a friend of his. Upon leaving, York asked his friend if he could take the man's rifle with him.

Seems anyone with the curiosity of a canteloupe would undertake a two step process:

1. Locate the AR letter to determine the name of this son.

2. Order copies of the morning reports of York's company for a few days before the big day to see if there was a soldier with the same last name as our AR letter writer who was listed as unfit for duty in the days leading up to York's famed event.

If there's no match, the story is total BS. If there is a match, it merely preserves the possibility it could have happened as described.

In the meantime, a clarification is needed as to whether the claimed hosptital visit by York was in the AR letter or not. If I was Fred, I would have long ago sought the assistance of packrat-inclined members to locate said letter (to refresh my fallible memory and to establish my credibiity). From the vague descriptions, it's possible the letter was in repsonse to the Mar 05 article in AR (but that's just a guess).

After reading all these comments for many years, all the speculatory data presented seems to lean in favor of the 03.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tmark View Post
    After reading all these comments for many years, all the speculatory data presented seems to lean in favor of the 03.
    Isn't speculatory data just another way to say BS data?

York did not seem to know the model designations for the rifles we know he used (M1917 and the SMLE - the "British rifle"). To our knowledge, York had no opportunity to even see a 1903 before that day. We know for a fact that he trained with a M1917 (Regimental history), which he turned in for a SMLE in Britain (ditto), which was turned in for a M1917 just before the event. His unit was never near any regiment armed with the 1903. The area in which they were fighting was never occupied by any regiment armed with the 1903. The idea they were milling around behind some tent where 1903's were stacked is humorous at best. But if you say the evidence is in favor of the 1903, what can I say?

jt

Blog Entries

I always wish this tidbit had been expanded upon: http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=21424&page=5

Fred

Not to come into this discussion late but that gentleman who recounted that story in the American Rifleman about Alvin York and the 1903 is a member of my local rifle Club. He's a retired AF Colonel and has been a competitive shooter for many years, still shooting on the Bald Eagles Palma Team, so very familiar with any firearms that might have been discussed or used by York. His Dad served in Sergeant York’s platoon and as a youngster, John had actually had met Alvin York during family visits. John's Dad recounted how the troops were issued 1917s but that some liberated 1903's were available for the platoon to use. John's Dad was whom York visited in hospital and due to his wounds wasn't involved in the brave action. I think some of the confusion in this thread is the fact that York didn't "borrow" the 1903 at the hospital but used what was available to the platoon. John's Dad always indicated York had used one of those liberated 1903s to capture the German machinegun nests recounted in the citation and in the movie. I think John would be willing to discuss this further, but I would have to respect his privacy until he agrees to some forum to chat about this.

SAJTU
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

York could not have used a 1903 because it would have been a low number and would have immediately blown up in his face when he pulled the trigger or would have shattered if he would have dropped it. Because we all know they are completely unsafe to fire.

I think you can see this subject has approached the hallowed "Shooting or not shooting a LN M1903" in rancor!!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I always wish this tidbit had been expanded upon: http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=21424&page=5
    I followed up afterward to get more of what the Colonel had to share on the subject. I can understand why he doesn't want to get onto a forum.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-24-2015 at 08:42.

Quote Originally Posted by StockDoc View Post
    I tend to believe the Movie with Gary Cooper, since Sgt York was tech advisor to the movie, and was on set a few times.

Probably have the same discussion about Chris Kyle in a hundred years.
    Really can't consider the movie Sgt York 100% accurate even if he was a tech adviser. It portrayed Alvin York clean shaven when he had a mustache also it portrayed him using a luger to kill several Germans charging his position when it was his issued 1911 at the time.

Those being pretty significant alterations from the original story I wouldn't consider "letter of the law"