Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alvin York M1917 or M1903

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    York could not have used a 1903 because it would have been a low number and would have immediately blown up in his face when he pulled the trigger or would have shattered if he would have dropped it. Because we all know they are completely unsafe to fire.
    +1 for swampyankee!!!!!

jt

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I always wish this tidbit had been expanded upon: http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=21424&page=5
    Good grief! How old is this man? Is he still ambulatory? How did this subject come up 96 years ago when it was not a controversy until the sixties or seventies? Oops! I think I hear the BS meter going off again.

Give me the soldier's name and I will personally do the research and publish the result as to whether he was in York's squad, or even if he was in the hospital. They kept very good records of those things back then (and still do). Daily reports kept track of every man in each regiment.

Well?

jt

I've even seen them argue over the serial number of the 1911 that York carried.

One serial was in Yorks Diary, and the other one I think was listed in the SRS as Yorks.

I guess if you could find either one, you would hit the lottery. It makes you wonder if they are in some multi bazillionaires private collection somewhere or they were just lost in the mix and sold when someone passed away, still to be discovered.

The two serials are: 254648 and 244408

I keep an eye out for them.