Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Probable WWII 1903 Marine Sniper w/A5 scope

Well I bought something interesting this weekend. The seller did not know much about what it was. It came from a old man who they thought had been a WWII Army vet, who they said they knew had it at least 30 years, but did not know where he had got it before that. When I asked if he might have been a Marine they were puzzled why. So I did not believe they had faked this.

First I have to thank John Beard, Jim Tarleton, Ed Byrns, and Chuch Moline. Each I have talked with personally on this and they were all nice enough to answer my questions and give me opinions on it. Thank you Gentlemen!

Now I'm curious what others think of it. As I know some of you have these rifles. I have almost a 150 pics of this rifle so I have photos of nearly every inch of it. So if someone needs to see a specific pic of something. I probably have it.

This is a description of the rifle. Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

Serial: 1459600

Receiver: 1934 date, has had hatcher hole drilled, not a factory hatcher hole. Rails polished.

Barrel: 4-38 SA. Not Star guaged marked, but has C63934 on the sight base. Barrel has Marine Vice marks on it.

Bolt: blued NS bolt. It's an early NS bolt with the single gas hole enlarged. Serial number electropenciled on top.

Stock: No cartouches, area around sight base has been milled out. National Match buttplate

Follower is polished then has the word SERIAL electorpenciled on it with at least a 1 and 4 behind it. I cannot make out the rest.

There has been machining on the area where the trigger assembly matches up to the receiver. Where the front screw is attached.

Scope is a Winchester A5 scope with #2 mounts.

CV sear with B

Boyt 42 sling

Here are the pics:

When I first saw it I knew the Marines did have the Winchester A5/Lyman 5A at the beginning of WWII. But I don't know if they would have used #2 scope mounts.

The other thing I questioned was the straight stock, but I found many pics of the straight stock being used in the War.

The first pic is Guadalcanal, the second pic is Okinawa 1945, and the third is on Guam in 1944.

4427735339_300008f924.jpg4427328552_175a348dac.jpgusmcww2sniper.jpg
    Last edited by cplnorton; 03-16-2015 at 04:30.

Oooooo... Nice rifle!

wonderful find..
    as we have talked...i believe the rifle is ok...the mounts and scope were added later..
    nice handguard as well...
    its missing some of the other markings iv seen...
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Very Nice Find!!!!

10. Default

I suspect that rifle originally had a Unertl on it. Note the Win A5 sniper in the picture has the Winchester modified mounts. I don't believe the Corps would have used hard to read #2 mounts when they had over 800 sets of the much better and easy to read Winchester modified mounts with elevation calibrated in inches. Either way, you found a real prize.

Congratulations.

jt