Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with front sight

I need to drift the front sight on a 1917 and cannot see any way other than using a hammer and punch.Is there something I should know before attempting this?I don't see a set screw or pin of any kind.Thanks

Dear Mld:

If you look at the parts diagram at numrich: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...103.htm?page=3

part nos 40-43. There's a pin. and a punched in setting on the front sight: pg 2-3 FM 23-6

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128164 talks about problems removing the entire sight. I *suspect* that the pin mentioned might be tapered along the holes thru the front sight, so if it doesn't drift out one way, then it *might* go the other way.

HOWEVER, before you start taking things apart, how about seeing if the barrel was proper indexed to the receiver. If the barrel was replaced sometime after manufacture, it might be that the barrel isn't properly indexed for the sight assembly to be properly centered.

RHB

3. Default

If by "drift" you just mean moving it for zeroing, you could use a hammer and a brass drift - but you would be unable to know how much you moved it. The Armorers had a device with two screws that "pushed" the sight in it's dovetail. I have heard that the commonly available SKS Rifle front sight tool can be used, or at least modified to work, on the M1917 front sight. Or, the original pusher is available at some cost, when you find it.
    Otherwise, it's trial and error at the range with a punch! CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MLD View Post
    I need to drift the front sight on a 1917 and cannot see any way other than using a hammer and punch.Is there something I should know before attempting this?I don't see a set screw or pin of any kind.Thanks
    The blade insert is simply press fit into base. If you look at the front of the front sight assembly you'll see a punch mark left by the armorer for the purpose of staking the insert to the base. You can use that mark as an index point to determine how far you've moved the insert. I've had no problem using a flat punch to move the insert, but it's a good idea to have an extra pair of hands available to steady the rifle, along with a solid surface (ie the anvil surface on your bench vise) to lay the side of the sight assembly.

Thanks for the help.The rifle shoots to the right and moving the insert should correct that.Just wanted to make sure there was nothing holding it back.Using the staking as an index is a good tip.The barrel was replaced, but it's a 1-18 Rem on a early Eddy. so it has probably been on a long time.I hope not to have to index it.I do have an SKS front sight tool.I might try to make that work

I have a querry to this guy, if he is not making them at least it gives you an idea of what works

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enfield-P-19...3D251637531815

I have one and it does real good

I got a message from the guy selling those, he is planning on making them in a few weeks

Somewhere on my hard drive I have a dwg of a P17 sight pusher. It looks like it is made from a pc of heavy sq tube with holes drilled and taped for 1/4x20 bolts. Always meaning to make one but haven't gotten around to it.

Carefully! Mine has DEEP center-punch mark, locking my FS into the dovetail.