Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

I have only seen 5 or 6 rod bayonet rifles that I thought were real. On the rifles that were correct the trigger guard had a very distinct shape. I also found this TG on a later rifle that appeared to be a rebuild. My RB 1903 in numbered 57294 and has this trigger guard (as well as the front stacking swivel with the machined flat). I have photos I can send to someone but I have not yet mastered posting photos here. The photo shows the RB 1903 above with the later 1903 trigger guard below.

The longer trigger guard must be intended for a double trigger set up as on a set trigger?
    Last edited by Fred; 03-15-2015 at 07:37.

3. Default

Nope. I have seen this TG on every good RB 1903.

Beats me. I'm no expert. I've seen at least five period pictures that seems to show a normal trigger guard. None that show an elongated trigger guard. All the photo's of the undisputedly unaltered and original Rod Bayonet 03's that've sold for seriously big money to advanced collectors have the normal trigger guard. The detailed drawing of the trigger guard in the 1904 Rod Bayonet manual shows a normal trigger guard. Beats me...
    Last edited by Fred; 03-18-2015 at 10:24.

Here are some wonderful period photographs that I've borrowed from my copy of the book, Rock Island Rifle Model 1903, written by Nick Ferris. These photo's definitely show the normal trigger guard. The drawing is out of the 1904 printing of "Description And Rules For The Management Of The U.S. Magzine Rifle, Model Of 1903, Caliber .30"
    It too shows the normal trigger guard.

Last edited by Fred; 03-18-2015 at 10:08.

7. Default

HI Fred,
    Pretty convincing I must say. Still I have observed the triggerguard with the parallel sides on a 5 or 6 RB rifles, and have made a point of noting the shape. An interesting point about the guard on my rifle is that the sear is not released when the trigger is pushed forward. This was the problem with the RB rifles and why the pin was added. It has been more than 20 years since I took my rifle apart, but as I remember my rifle does not have the pin.