Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

I love Krags where ever you find them. Did anyone notice that the Krag rifle used in the Foreign Legion movie is equipped with the four receiver parts (side plate with a hole, the brass guide, screw to hold same and a follower with a cut out to clear the brass guide) that lets them shoot the slightly shorter blank cartridges in repeater mode? I just recently was able to find one of the rifles, having owned a carbine version for awhile. There is mention in the second Mallory book that these alterations were done at the Benecia arsenal. The rifle I have is marked with an "S" that stands for a famous old movie prop house, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

It escapes me also . . . .was it "Stenhouse" or something similar?

Stembridge Rentals, IIRC

Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. as Sgt., 'Tommy' Ballantine, captured in a Thuggee Temple (RKO - Gunga Din - 1939).

Yikes!

It does not look good for the handsome Sergeant, as he's apprehended by two Thugs, with 'Trapdoor' Springfield and possible Krag 'school rifle' (note - hand-guard appears to have sight protecting hump, but, forearm looks mighty short).

Hey, it kind of look like Dick Hosmer. Maybe he'll get those pieces for his collection!

gunga din 3.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 03-30-2015 at 09:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Butts View Post
    I am with Dick and would love to hear some details from the "other" side!!
    Actually he is in the final stages of a book. One tidbit I recall is that Custer was killed by a 14 or 15 year old using a derringer. Lakota/Dakota seemed to love derringers. Crazy Horse was shot in the face with one for stealing a guys wife. This gentleman also owned the Two Moons SAA. It is a documented Greasy Grass weapon taken by several Arapahoe braves from a trooper and awarded to the Cheyenne Two Moons for saving their hides when they were mistaken for Crow Scouts before the battle and then mistakenly killed a Sioux brave during the battle. I actually got to hold that weapon and even fondle it a little.

Not a movie but, Sgt. Schultz in Hogan's Heroes carries a Krag.
    Jon

7. Default

The Wind and the Lion is a great movie, by the way, even if Candice Bergen is in it.

Just saw a whole bunch of Krags in the movie Green Fire.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047050/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, Socrates

9. Default

Lee Marvin carried as a Mountie in "Death Hunt" staring Charles Bronson.
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    The Wind and the Lion is a great movie, by the way, even if Candice Bergen is in it.
    I love the Wind and the Lion as well; one of my favorite movies. Although historically inaccurate, the U.S. Navy and Marines use Model 1896 Krag rifles throughout the movie to great effect. However, at the time the movie was set (1904) they would still have been carrying the Winchester-Lee rifle in 6mm Lee. The director, John Milius, was a famous gun nut and acknowledged the inaccuracy, but explained that the simply couldn't find enough operating Winchester-Lees to use for production, so settled for the Krag.

Cheers,
    Peconga in Boise, Idaho