Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

While Chard and Bromhead could have had Webleys, they would have been solid frame models or even an Adams or a Tranter.

Oh by the way, Custer had a Webley! (Not a joke)

Banging my head!

I can see Dick's frustration.

Couple of years ago, my son came home from (high) school with a friend. My son saw me with a book in my lap, and asked what I was reading. I told him about the forensic examination at The Little Big Horn. I showed him a picture of George Custer. His friend said "That's not Custer, I saw him in a movie just last week (Errol Flynn). The discussion that followed showed that my son's friend was an idiot.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Oh by the way, Custer had a Webley! (Not a joke)
    Actually, I knew that, and, if I recall, it has never turned up, either.

5. Default

Look at the bright side of things...the kid is NOT a voter yet!

I have heard some very good stories about the Greasy Grass and weapons used there. Friend of mine did construction in western SD for 40 years and had many native crew members. He heard things most whites ever would. The other side in the battle know who shot Custer and what weapon was used. Way better than the movies.

And will this info ever be shared, or is it doomed to remain in the mists of time?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    And will this info ever be shared, or is it doomed to remain in the mists of time?
    I am with Dick and would love to hear some details from the "other" side!!
    Last edited by Ned Butts; 03-27-2015 at 05:13.

9. Default

Nobody's mentioned Rough Riders yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Butts View Post
    I am with Dick and would love to hear some details from the "other" side!!
    At least the type of weapon used could be divulged, without fear of reprisal. And, I would hope that the long-dead person might be named as well. Bringing up such stories without any follow-through is really kind of counter-productive in my opinion. If the tale is true it deserves to be backed up - if false/hearsay/etc. it would have been better left untold. It has always been assumed that the "other side" knew more than they were letting on - maybe it is time for the information to come out of the closet? History is history - a bell cannot be unrung. Yes, I can understand that in the immediate aftermath there would have been good reasons to keep silent, but in today's political climate any living descendents would almost certainly be feted and fawned over, rather than prosecuted.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 03-29-2015 at 08:52.