Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Phillip no doubt you can do just that, however for the price of the Dillon press alone you can have an entire loading setup to get started with money left over for powder, primers, and bullets. The Dillon can easily follow if you have a need for its excellent qualities as a progressive press. It all depends on the budget.

Jerry Liles

Amen to that!

The bottom line is... it all depends on what you're looking to accomplish, what your budget is, and what you favor as far as branding is concerned. People that love Dillon will never accept that others love Lee, RCBS, or Hornady... and vice-versa. Ultimately, what ever you wind up getting will do just fine and dandy as long as you stick to safe reloading practices and established load tables. I will say that in my opinion, someone starting out should probably stick to a single stage until they gain some experience and knowledge... regardless of the brand you purchase. No need to rush into being an expert!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Dillon 650, Lyman All American, RCBS Rockchucker and at least one other sitting on a shelf
    But then I have been reloading for over 50 years.

4. Default

Dillon v. RCBS v. Hornady, etc. = Chevy v. Dodge v. Ford

5. Default

The OP wants to start with 30/06 which immediately implies that a good single stage will suffice. The single stage will always be useful even if you move to a progressive later.

There is a lot of brand loyalty and opinions when it comes to reloading tools. The fact of the matter is that very few of us have a wide experience. We tend to stick with what we know and what works for us.

I tend to be a Green fan, be it Redding or RCBS for basic tools. The other manufacturers all have their nitches.

New vs used? If you encounter a good deal on used, go for it. Otherwise, new will allow you all the choices.
    Last edited by Ken in Iowa; 06-13-2015 at 04:39.

Have had a RockChucker for over 30yrs although not used much; shoot a lot of Mil surp. My friends have also had it & no complaints. I see nothing wrong with used long as was maintained & not rust/pitted on the ram. Just one man's opinion.