Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question What's the best set up to get? New or used?

What is the best set up to get? Better to buy new or used?

I'm currently only 30-06, but will probably reload other rifle and pistol rounds in the future.

I'm just looking to avoid pit falls of getting the wrong set up. Please advise. TIA.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

I bought several really nice RCBS presses on Ebay. Look for the newer versions that have the black removable bushing on top so you can convert it to Loc&Load. It makes reloading much easier. There are other reloading items put there on auction sites. Get the price of new before you bid on stuff so you don't over pay. Factor in shipping in your cost.

Joe, I have to disagree with you about the newer RCBS vs the older ones. The older ones are 100% made in the USA and the newer ones the castings are made in China. RCBS has had a lot of problems with the newer presses as they sometimes have voids in the casting and the press breaks. I have many thousands of rounds through my 42 year old RCBS Rock Crusher and it's still going strong.

So RCBS over Hornady?
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

I have the inexpensive Lee Turret Press I mounted on treated 2 by sixes. I think I paid $79 for the complete press circa 1980. I have reloaded thousands of rounds of 06 with it. Lee will stand by their equipment and replace damaged or broken parts (even it it is your fault) free of charge.

I'd prefer a press not made in China. RCBS is another great outfit.

I'd call Lee to make sure their products are still made in USA and buy new rather than used.

get a rockcrusher II or older that will never wear out--the smaller the press the harder to resize 06-I've sent stuff back to RCBS for repair and they never charge-Lee
    stuff doesn't hold out-except their dies

Redding, Hornady, and RCBS offer medium duty presses that will never wear out. RCBS is still the strongest and any propblems with Chinese air pockets have been corrected. Sinclair has a pricy one, and it is quite nice.
    New is the best in response to your question, warranty and newer designs and upgrades always give you an edge.
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

I will buy used RCBS Rock Chucker presses. I will not buy used scales or dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Joe, I have to disagree with you about the newer RCBS vs the older ones. The older ones are 100% made in the USA and the newer ones the castings are made in China. RCBS has had a lot of problems with the newer presses as they sometimes have voids in the casting and the press breaks. I have many thousands of rounds through my 42 year old RCBS Rock Crusher and it's still going strong.
    The RCBS presses I bought off Ebay were the older ones I guess. They are solid and I doubt they will ever break. I also have a older Hornady Loc&^Load press that gets a real workout, so much so that the toggle wore out. Hornady replaced it N/C. I have a Lee "O" frame press that is cast pot metal. The links broke pretty quick. It's now used for bullet sizing.

I have an older Rock Chucker (new at the time and a Lee progressive which I turn by hand as the auto index was for sh*t). Use the Lee for pistol and the RCBS for rifle. No problems with either. Lee is also an older one, new at the time.