Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NM Garand

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 2111 View Post
    Bob Seijas shows a photo, in the Winter 2003 edition of the GCA Journal, of a mint Type 2 NM rifle #5832326, which was originally assembled in 1959, upgraded in 1960 and again in 1962. DCM sales papers are dated May 10, 1971. The rifle still retained the barrel from the original 1959 assembly and showed the year codes for 1959, 1960 and 1962. The reason for this was that the rifle was neither shipped to Camp Perry nor sold by DCM until 1971. It remained in SA inventory and was upgraded each year, even though it was unused. Reason being, when a NM rifle was sold through the DCM, or loaned to a shooter at Camp Perry, the buyer/shooter would get a rifle with all the latest upgrades for that shooting season.
    SA closed in Apr 1968, so I think its safe too assume it was stored at Aniston until it was sold, so it left SA went too Aniston but was still in Army inventory/control.

Those stamped on the early Type 1 NM rifles will be found spaced differently as they used two stamps, an "N" and an "M" Pictured is the stamping on a late 1956 or early 1957 built Type 1 NM rifle. The second picture is the inscription on a 1962 built Type 2. At this point no longer stamped but engraved in some manner. These stamps will be equally spaced. The third picture is of the new 7791035 barrel used on the NM rifles built for 1963. It appears that the NM stamp on these barrels were cast into the barrel when the barrel was built and it is under the Parkerizing.
    Attachment 30288Attachment 30289Attachment 30290
    Barrels are not cast, its better too say the barrel was inscribed before it was finished. The NM barrels that I has seen the NM markings could have been done with a roll mark the placement I've seen on more than a few have not been centered between the gas cylinder rings and a few have been a bit lower than normal one in fact was almost underneath and the G/C practically covered it.

How about this one ??N.M. marking.jpg

3. Default

almost looks as though it was filled in with weld, would not no why. Did they also orient the NM that way?
    liberum aeternum

I don't believe Springfield Arsenal ever did.

5. Default

How about this one ??N.M. marking.jpg
    That one is a first.

It was a first for me too. I forget where it was that I copied the photo but I think it may have been on an ALLEGED NM rifle on G.B. And yes, "cast" was a bad choice of words. I don't know where the NM rifle I was referring to was shipped from but I guess being shipped in 1971 Anniston would be most likely.
    Last edited by 2111; 03-23-2015 at 01:01.