Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NM Garand

Hybrid View

Default NM Garand

I Bought a Garand at agun show, the seller said it was a NMGarand and it had NM sights and the prie ws good so I bit and paid upfor it. I looked it up and the 1-55 SA barrel sho enough indicates it could br a NM rifle but I am unable to find the NM marking anywhere on the brrel.

Where did they stamp the NM at?
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinerBros View Post
    I Bought a Garand at agun show, the seller said it was a NMGarand and it had NM sights and the prie ws good so I bit and paid upfor it. I looked it up and the 1-55 SA barrel sho enough indicates it could br a NM rifle but I am unable to find the NM marking anywhere on the brrel.

Where did they stamp the NM at?
    If it's SA National Match the barrel will have a star mark on it; however, it could be match prepped by other parties in which case "Who knows?" If it's an SA provenance and paperwork are everything.

If it's a NM barrel there should be a "NM" stamped on the left side of the barrel towards the muzzle between the gas cylinder mounting rings, there might also be a star next to the NM stamp but not all of them had the star.

What is the serial number of the rifle?

Lastly, for a fee CMP will check their records to verify if your M1 was originally shipped as a national match Garand, but give us some more information, maybe a picture or two, and forum members will assist you in determining the likelihood, or not, that your Garand is an authentic national match rifle. From there you should have an idea if it's a NM Garand, or not, and can then decide if you want to spend the money to have CMP verify it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Jay Johnson; 03-11-2015 at 09:38.

It's not uncommon for gun show sellers to pass off Garands as National Match if any one part has a NM marking, op rod, sights, etc. Do check with the CMP.
    Last edited by Ted Brown; 03-11-2015 at 10:47.

The SN is 58005XX with a barrel dated 1-55 which fits right in the dates in Duffs book that NMrifles were made at SA.

I looked hard but could not see a NM or star on the left side of the front part of the barrel so I guess it is not a SA NM Rifle.

When I bought it I knew it wasn't a full blown M1 match rifle as I shot HPR with one for years. But is was a all correct SA garand with match sights at an excellent price.

Thanks for the information on the placement of the NM.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.

On the front top barrel between the front handguard and GC should be "NM" ,

The bolt MAY have the last four of receiver SN, and the barrel, when OP rod is "full back" has a special
    drawing number stamped for the NM barrel.

It should have "NM" on the receiver heel???

Other will correct me. [as I have been known to be wrong!]

The star was found on the early NM barrels, which at that time were stamped with the NM, on the left hand side of the barrel about mid way between the gas cylinder rings. Then the barrels had the NM applied with a pantagraph (engraving) machine as it was thought that stamping the NM set up stresses in the barrel.

8. Default

The real ones I've owned in the past did not have "NM" on the Reciever heel - I don't think that is correct. Both had "NM" on the left side of the barrel as already described, one, if I recall right this was a 6M reciever - had the star on the barrel. CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 03-12-2015 at 11:54.
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

A 6 million serial number range NM is more than likely a Type I, and still has the original barrel if marked with the star. When production halted around the 6.1 million range, Springfield started using receivers on hand as well as salvaged receivers. The only NM part on the original rifles was the barrel, but the other NM parts were added to the rebuilt rifles.

Bottom line - if it is not stamped NM on the left side of the barrel, between the rings of the gas cylinder, it is NOT a National Match rifle as built by Springfield Armory.
    The star just to the right of the NM marking is found on those rifles that were subject to the new accuracy requirements implemented for rifles built for the 1957 National Matches. During 1958 the new accuracy requirements became standard and the "star" stamp was discontinued. As said, these were originally "Type 1" rifles. At a later date the rifle could go through an upgrade and if it retained its original barrel, in addition to the STAR, you should also find the "year code" for 1959, 60, 61 or 62 stamped on the barrel, in the date area.
    Last edited by 2111; 03-14-2015 at 02:48.