Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well, cplnorton, I sure hope you can find that image. The MC-58 guns have pretty much been invisible when it comes to photos taken while in service.

Regards,
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Flick View Post
    Well, cplnorton, I sure hope you can find that image. The MC-58 guns have pretty much been invisible when it comes to photos taken while in service.

Regards,
    Charlie
    PM sent

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    Crap, I had one. Someone posted it on a Marine facebook group I moderated. If I remember right it was in his boot camp book he bought from the late 50's, early 60's.

I will try to look for it again. If I find it, I will come back and post it. But it was definitely a MC58.
    PM sent

Hey I did find the trials of the MC58 this week. Plus documents on the 65's. I haven't had a chance to fully go through them.

But isn't it believed though the MC58 was built as a training rifle for the M14?

Or am I mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    Hey I did find the trials of the MC58 this week. Plus documents on the 65's. I haven't had a chance to fully go through them.

But isn't it believed though the MC58 was built as a training rifle for the M14?

Or am I mistaken?
    Have seen that written somewhere in the past.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    Have seen that written somewhere in the past.
    Yeah I have a bunch of documents on them now. It looks like they started around 1954 on trying to find a more accurate training aid for the M1 Garand.

They made requests to several civilian companies looking for the specific trainer they wanted. Only a couple responded with Marlin and H&R being the only two that were serious about making a copy for the M1. The Army at the time didn't want a .22 trainer for the M1, and only the Marines did. That is probably why the civilian companies didn't really respond. There wasn't enough money to be made by a small order to the Marines.

H&R by the trials won with the what was called the M65 modified. Then it was designated the MC-58.

But yeah it never had anything to do with the M14. Which suprised me. It was all about the Garand.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 06-23-2019 at 02:07.

CplNorton:

Documentation on the MC-58 rifles is very scarce. Would you mind posting what you have found on them, as you have generously done before with documents on the Springfield and M1917 rifles?

Thanks.
    Charlie Flick