1. Default Getting There - Slowly and with Lots of Help

I acquired a Model of 1868 Springfield in January, off of the CMP Forum. Cost was not excessive, $375 plus shipping.

I am learning a tremendous amount from this rifle.

First, I need to thank some people:

Dick Hosmer - An excellent writer, full of knowledge and willing to share it with a newbie. I have your book and your disassembly writeup

Al Frasca - A true gentleman with a great website. All provided me with some good advice and two parts (a firing pin and a hammer screw).

Tkacook - Andy gave me tips and suggestions on reloading for the 50-70, and even a few bullets to get me started!

Thank you very much, all of you.

I've gotten the firing pin replaced, but have a couple more questions:

1. How do I tell if the cleaning rod keeper is broken or not? Do I have to take out the upper band spring to tell if the keeper is OK? Dick's instructions on Al's site says it is easily determined. Mine doesn't move when I try to push on it or rock it (spring still in place). It appears to be whole on the barrel channel side.

2. How does the cam latch assembly come apart? Does the cam latch spindle unscrew from the thumb piece?

Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by steelap; 03-07-2015 at 12:08.

1. if the rod is staying put then I doubt the cleaning rod keeper is broken. You will have to remove the rifle from the stock to tell for sure.

2. Never tried to dissemble the cam latch. I think it's pressed together.

TKacook
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Steelap,

You are very welcome!

A broken rod keeper will show up in the barrel channel; the bar - which is quite thin - breaks just next to one of the end lugs, which are VERY stout, especially on the 1868 since there is more metal.

The cam latch does not normally come apart - thumbpiece is a tight press-fit on the shaft, after plate is installed. While the Armory might scavenge usable parts, field replacement would be on the basis of swapping in a complete assembly.