1. Default Follow Up Question (Photo Link Added) re: 1907 Vintage Springfield Thread

Good evening,

I've started this additional thread because I thought the earlier one may be dormant, and I wanted to see if I could get some further input as to what may be the best course to take with my '03.

So in light of the replacement sight, would you gentlemen keep the rifle, though it is not completely original, or sell it in order to obtain the necessary funds to purchase one that is indeed a completely original/correct example, in the off chance that such an example comes along? I have a chance to send it back to the dealer for a consignment sale, but I don't want to make a decision I may regret afterwards.

As always, thanks for your time.

Deacon
    Last edited by Deacon; 03-07-2015 at 07:24.

What you choose to do with your rifle is really more of a personal decision based on your objectives and circumstances.

As I understand, you paid $2500 for SA S/N 272487, which you describe as being completely original except for having a replacement Rock Island rear sight. At that price, I will assume the rifle is in NRA Fine or better condition.

From my perspective, the replacement rear sight de-values the rifle by the expense amount required to correct it. In that case, the expense amount should be about $50 for a correct rear sight. Of course, the replacement sight has re-sale value. So you may be able to re-sell or trade it for a correct sight at zero net expense. In summary, the replacement rear sight does not significantly de-value the rifle.

Another consideration is the effort required to locate and purchase a correct rear sight in matching condition. This means that you may have to attend a few gun shows, peruse sale listings, post a wanted-to-buy inquiry, and surf the internet auctions until you find what you seek. Some of us draw pleasure from these activities. Others do not. So you will have to decide how much time, effort, and resources you're willing to expend in your search.

And, finally, you must decide how attracted you are to your rifle. If you really like the rifle, had difficulty finding it, and value having it in your collection, then it's worth some effort to make the correction. If on the other hand, the rifle is a casual take-it-or-leave-it acquisition, then you may choose to dispose of it and move on.

Those are some considerations. Now you must choose.

J.B.

3. Default

If for $2,500 is should be in NRA Fine condition, then I've overpaid. So now it's just a matter of weighing the other considerations you've listed with that rather stark fact.

NRA Fine condition means that the rifle has 30% to 80% original finish with commensurate wood condition. If you paid $2500 for a rifle in less condition, then you overpaid. But that's "water under the bridge" and should have little bearing on where you go from here.

But look at it from the bright side. Finding a worn sight in matching condition is a lot easier and cheaper than finding a new one!

J.B.

5. Default

Thanks for your explanation of "NRA Fine" condition, Mr. Beard; I'd been under the impression that that rating meant at least 90%, and my rifle probably fits into the middle of the range that you gave. Also, I appreciate your point about the sight - it's a good one, and one I hadn't really considered.

Deacon
    Last edited by Deacon; 03-01-2015 at 10:48.

6. Default Follow Up Question re: 1907 Vintage Springfield Thread

Here are photos of my rifle:

http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/Ed...gfield%20M1903

Thanks for looking (and thanks Mr. Beard for helping me add the link.)

Deacon
    Last edited by Deacon; 03-07-2015 at 08:15.

Try again. And this time, use the Link icon above the message box.

Thanks!

J.B.