Default US Pull Thru cord Repair

Hello Brain Trust.

After buying several of the US style pull-thru cleaning tools. and trying one in a barrel and have the twine cord break (Yeah I know, 70+ yrs). Anyone know a replacement cord that will work to restore them to full working order. Just the thing for re-enactors to show kids how it was done in 'The Old Army'. 8*)

RHB

Just go to a friendly hardware store and purchase a ball of cotton thread twine of the appropriate diameter.

Have used nylon twine,only problem is if you're concerned about the color.

Blog Entries

It was originally jute, I think.

I remember Jim Keenan saying when he was an armorer that he couldn't tell the troops not to use it because it was an issue item, but he sure did discourage it's use due to the ease of sticking it in the bore.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    It was originally jute, I think.

I remember Jim Keenan saying when he was an armorer that he couldn't tell the troops not to use it because it was an issue item, but he sure did discourage it's use due to the ease of sticking it in the bore.
    I can see his point. The first time I saw a pull through I was amazed at how thin the string was. The Brits used what amounted to rope for their pull throughs and the Germans chain. I'll guarantee those options didn't break off and leave a brush or patch stuck in the bore.

As a kid I remember my Dad using a nail at one end of a cotton string and a patch cut for the .22 cal. barrel and running Hoppe's soaked patches and dry patches through till the barrel was clean. Later, I tried it and cut the patch too big, broke the string with a patch wedged about half way through. Dad tried to push the patch out with a piece of welding rod but it just wedged tighter. He then ground a point on the rod, heated it red hot and after several insertions charred the patch till it pushed out. I went out and bought a proper .22 cal. cleaning rod after that.