Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default has anyone seen a P like this on a carbine stock before?

I found this rifle and there is a very small P on the comb. I have never seen one like this before. Anyone ever seen something like this before?DSC_0062.jpg

guess not.

3. Default

I didn't see a p in the picture. Could you try posting a better picture.

I'm not sure what that mark might be

That's about as close as I can get it. I used a glass on it after I could feel the indentation of the mark and it is a VERY small P but I have never seen anything like this before. It doesn't look like something made by hand so I have no idea how it got there. I'll see if I can get any closer but I doubt it. It's cloudy this AM so I'll bring it outside and try using natural light.
    Last edited by duke133; 03-14-2015 at 06:17.

Default another try at a pic and now it looks like an R

RA maybe.jpgSo, I tried outside and now it looks like an R and maybe an A after it but still, this doesn't look like any Raritan mark I have ever seen before. Any ideas or is it just my old eyes playing tricks on me now?
    Last edited by duke133; 03-14-2015 at 06:53.

Looks more like a RA with the right side trailing off. Maybe an RA-P that wasn't a full stamp? Probably sanded over also.

Last edited by Johnny P; 03-14-2015 at 09:59.

Hey Johnny P, that's a whole lot better than what I could get. Thanks but still I don't ever recall seeing anything like that as small as it is. This is on an RMC stock and no other markings. Thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by duke133; 03-14-2015 at 11:06.

After replying I remembered "working" on my first carbine, a QHMC, I got around '70. The guy I bought it from needed the cash and it was his Dad's from the war. It had all the proper markings but the stock was dirty and full of grease. Not knowing any better back then I used several hot water baths to soak out all the oils and grease. Of course, all the stamps came out, especially after I lightly sanded it down before putting linseed oil on the wood. The only marking left is the Q in the sling well but boy, did the wood ever look nice. Now I'm older and wiser and regret what I did but.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Default

The hot water does just about the same thing as steaming out dents. It raises the displaced fibers, which the stampings are. The only cleaning I give them is a heavy coat of boiled linseed oil mixed 50/50 with turpentine. Let it set about thirty minutes and give it a good scrubbing with toweling. If needed repeat, and then with your hands smooth out the small amount remaining.