Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ammo for 1912 Norwegian Krag Carbine?

Hello all. Just put on lay a way a Norwegian Krag Carbine, dated 1924. 6.5 x 55 chambered. Finding lots of conflicting advice on using ammo for a Swedish Mauser. I do not reload, so looking for commercial made ammo. I have also seen 6.5 gallery ammo, which I assume would be ok, but not much velocity. What do you guys recommend?

Obviously, get the Swedish milsurp ammo if you can find it. I could never seem to locate more than a box or two. Then, I went to Prvi Partisan (Serbian) ammo. Was fairly cheap and widely available. Started reloading, using the once-fired Prvi brass, and never looked back. Some reloading manuals have separate sections - one for data on newly-manufactured arms, and one for milsurp arms. I do not differentiate between my 2 Swedish Mausers and my Norwegian Krag when loading, except for bullets. My Krag is over 100 yrs old and the lands and grooves have seen more wear than my Mausers. Therefore, I load it with heavier, therefore longer, bullets with a flat base to give more surface area for the lands to "grab." Seems to work for me.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Found this string using the "SEARCH" feature in upper right of screen: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...ight=norwegian
    HTH - Liam
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

6.5 x 55 is 6.5 x 55. Factory hunting ammo isn't cheap though. Prvi starts at $17.99 for 120 grain ammo. Lapua crazy expensive, starting at $81.99 per 20 for 140's. Hornady, Remington and Federal are on No Backorder. Winchester's at $32.49. No milsurp listed.
    These'd be the guys to listen to most about ammo.
    http://www.kragcollectorsassociation...num=1260751506
    Spelling and grammar count!

6 kids dad: You probably should just reload. If you are worried about blowing the rifle, well load it down a bit. Everything I've heard about the Norse Krag is that it is safe with factory ammo. OTOH, if you aRE punching paper, why use hunting loads?

Good luck!

jn

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    6 kids dad: You probably should just reload. If you are worried about blowing the rifle, well load it down a bit. Everything I've heard about the Norse Krag is that it is safe with factory ammo. OTOH, if you aRE punching paper, why use hunting loads?

Good luck!

jn

While made of better steel than US Krags were, the NK is slightly weaker than a Swedish Mauser. I have seen data at Gunboards indicating spec on 6.5x55 NK is @40-45K PSI; Norwegian members have indicated cracked recievers traced back to excessive use of 6.5x55 SE. Handload using lower to midrange loads. Your brass will last longer and your loads will in all probability be more accurate. The single most accurate US Krag load I have ever found is a starting load of the given powder behind a 220 FWIW.

7. Default

Appreciate all of the replies, and feel free to keep them coming! Seems like even though it was designed for the same round, the Krag just might not be as strong.

Default 6.5x55 Krag

"Most" commercial U.S. manufacture is OK.
    I have had no problems with mine.

[found I have 4? Must have a multiplying problem with my storage of the Norwegians !]

Now If some one has a source of 8x58DR that does not cost an arm and a leg
    and is not mismade from another cartridge...let me know. please.

9. Default

Did a little bit of research, and found that PPU 6.5 x 55 measures about 2500 fps out of the muzzle. Found an old NRA publication about old military rifles, and it showed the muzzle velocity of the old round nose Swedish ammo at 2380 fps. Does not seem to me like a big difference, but I could be wrong.

No, not much different, considering the weight difference in the bullets. I have found their bullets to measure .263", that will keep pressure down too. And, the powder of the PPU is likely slower than the old military powder, also keeping the pressure down. Be wary of rough throats in old milsurps!
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson