Default 1884/buffington barrel band

I picked up an 1873 yesterday that has the barrel band for the Buffington rear sight. Anyone have an 1873 band to swap with me?

Mark
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

2. Default buffington band

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    I picked up an 1873 yesterday that has the barrel band for the Buffington rear sight. Anyone have an 1873 band to swap with me?

Mark
    Which model buffington band early or late.
    Doug

By God, I did not know there was an early and a late! send me an email and I'll send you a photo.
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

I thought I knew a lot about the Cal 45 Springfields but I did not know there were an early and a late band. There is an 1890 Carbine band with a protector. Is that what you meant?
    Last edited by raymeketa; 03-03-2015 at 02:44.

I too am mystified.

AFAIK, there are two bands notched for the Buffington sight - the rifle one, which Mark has, and the carbine one (with hump) noted by Ray.

While the knobs and shafts went through several changes, the housing for the screw - which the bands(s) are notched to accommodate - was always the same.

I have seen more than one bubba band, where someone hand-filed the notch. Perhaps that is what caused the question??

glad to know I'm not off my rocker and/or missing primary info!

7. Default

Mark, my email is dbmclain@aol.com

8. Default

I am sorry for the confusion, thought early one just had a notch and late one had protective front type hood

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Doug View Post
    I am sorry for the confusion, thought early one just had a notch and late one had protective front type hood
    Email just sent. let me know that it arrives with attachments.

All the best from Maine,

Mark