Default .308 brass length

I purchased a new tool to cut brass to length. It works great on the 223 and the 30.06 and is very fast. On the 308 it is cutting it to 2.010 inch when my book says it should be 2.005 inch. There is no way to make this thing cut any shorter. The main reason I trim brass is for safety, so I have to wonder if 2.010 inch is a safe length for my M1A? I also have some brass from my old cutter that came out short, so what is the shortest length that would be safe in a M1A?
    "In God We Trust"

Max case length is 2.015---I believe 2.010 is under that--you are good to go--what kind of trimmer are you using??,,,a little shorter will make 0 difference if you load to the regular length of your standard length case--your case uses the shoulder in the chamber....

3. Default

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKnXJxaAw2U

I have a Sinclair Chamber Length gage, the chambers on all my rifles including M1A are longer than published max brass OAL. I don't trim as often and can allow my brass a little more length before getting close to max length.

My books give the dims. as 2.005 to 2.015. At 2.010 your good to go. I trim mine to 2.005, the min dims.

Quote Originally Posted by Litt'le Lee View Post
    Max case length is 2.015---I believe 2.010 is under that--you are good to go--what kind of trimmer are you using??,,,a little shorter will make 0 difference if you load to the regular length of your standard length case--your case uses the shoulder in the chamber....
    I was using a RCBS Manual trimmer. I am now using a Lee trimmer that you can put into an electric drill and it is very quick. Thanks for the reply.
    "In God We Trust"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hecklerusp45 View Post
    I was using a RCBS Manual trimmer. I am now using a Lee trimmer that you can put into an electric drill and it is very quick. Thanks for the reply.
    For what it's worth, I use the RCBS manual trimmer with a battery drill, I just remove the handle and chuck up the shaft. Then I use the X-Die so I don't ever have to trim it again!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur