Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mauser action mod needed (small ring mod 98 from 1920)

current project is a custom 6.5X55 using a small ring mauser
    one issue i have is the rise in the back of the action for the stripper clip, now some of this is going to have to be removed, the weaver steel base S55 is the needed base but it needs some more room the base butts up against this and just has to be modified, the rifle already has holed drilled and tapef for a lyman 48 on the side of the action so it does not have much collect ability about it
    file, mill it, grind it, comments, me i think that the best was is to mill it down to match the rest of the receiver, might cost another nickel but it is what is needed for the rifle

You will not be loading a sportered Mauser with strippers. As for what is best, you answered your own question.
    Last edited by dave; 02-27-2015 at 11:22.

Years ago, I carefully modified the rear base (Weaver, aluminum) to fit around the hump.
    Much easier to modify the base than the receiver! --Jim

I am doing the same as what Jim did, only I used the Leupold 2 piece scope mount. Have to shape it to fit. For some strange reason I want to be able to revert back to original.
    liberum aeternum

1903A3 Sporter 003.jpg

this rifle, (at least in my lifetime will never go back to original, besides already has lyman 48 holes in side)
    as we speak the receiver is in a milling machine making the stripper clip ridge go away. not the cheapest, not the easiest but i feel (for the end result) the best, he (machinist) will mill off the ridge and once polished and parkerized like the plan originally will look i think pretty good
    Shilen barrel not a lightweight contour but a good wt for distance 6.5X55MM
    rebent bolt
    three position safety (gentry)
    timeney trigger (i think)
    glass bedded stock
    weaver k6 wide
    weaver bases

the othere photo is of a 1903A3 but i put it in to show the 3pos gentry safety, have to call brownells and get the phone number and you can get the thing direct only way to get the safety for a 1903 not cheap let me repeat that (NOT CHEAP) this will be fourth rifle i have added this safety they are well made and come in the white
    boyd custom stockGEW1916Mauser.jpg
    this photo is another creation but you can see the 3pos safety by gentry on the rifle, it really finishes it off
    Last edited by pelago; 02-27-2015 at 11:47.

To really 'finish it off' get some professional checkering on the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    To really 'finish it off' get some professional checkering on the stock.
    what i am building is a legacy gun for grandsons, they have to earn them, National honor society, graduate military boot camp with a stripe, academic scholarship. 4.0 gpa
    those would do it
    another one for sure would be EAGLE SCOUT
    I have 3 grandsons and 4 grand daughers, still to figure out something exceptional for girls
    Checkering, you have piqued my interest, would not even know whee to start

this something a novice can pick up ?? me, i would never attempt unless i had some skills inthis
    Last edited by pelago; 02-27-2015 at 11:52.

A novice?----not with out much, much practice. There are many pro's who do this (Goggle search). I have a custom M-54 Win. that I had done by a women who did it for the original Kimber of Oregon. Pat Taylor, 1892 N. Birch. Canby, OR. 97013. 503-266-3684. This info is from at least 15 yr. ago. Beautiful job, border less. 18 0r 20 lines per in". Not real plain (I had a choice of several patterns, more fancy=more money). Can not find receipt but cost was less the 200 plus shipping. She even complimented me on my finishing job, and she never put a scratch on it! That job took real skill.
    But before you do that get a nice milled TG for it!!!
    Last edited by dave; 05-09-2015 at 12:21.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Years ago, I carefully modified the rear base (Weaver, aluminum) to fit around the hump.
    Much easier to modify the base than the receiver! --Jim
    +1 While I have done both methods the altering of the rear scope mount is what I ended up doing the most, it doesn't booger up the rear receiver bridge.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    1903A3 Sporter 003.jpg

three position safety (gentry)
    timeney trigger (i think)
    glass bedded stock
    weaver k6 wide
    weaver bases

the othere photo is of a 1903A3 but i put it in to show the 3pos gentry safety, have to call brownells and get the phone number and you can get the thing direct only way to get the safety for a 1903 not cheap let me repeat that (NOT CHEAP) this will be fourth rifle i have added this safety they are well made and come in the white
    boyd custom stockGEW1916Mauser.jpg
    this photo is another creation but you can see the 3pos safety by gentry on the rifle, it really finishes it off
    I do not understand the "need," for the 3 position safety. A two position safety (Beuler etc.) is all that is necessary... The 1903/A3 has a magazine cutoff rendering the expensive three position safety as redundant. Jmho