Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Got the rifle right in front of me and it has "straight" 7s. Might be the angle of the photograph, although the 7s also look straight to me.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

2. Default

Would love to see photos!

There might be one exception to the straight 7 for Rock Island and the curved 7 for Springfield

I have two rear sight leafs (D28372)

the first one is with a straight 7, without the top notch, polished face and small R stamp on the right bottom above the pin hole

second rear sight leaf also a straight 7, without top notch, parkerized finish on face, no stamps/markings but a square rib on the top rear

Nice one.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    There might be one exception to the straight 7 for Rock Island and the curved 7 for Springfield

the first one is with a straight 7, without the top notch, polished face and small R stamp on the right bottom above the pin hole

second rear sight leaf also a straight 7, without top notch, parkerized finish on face, no stamps/markings but a square rib on the top rear
    If that first sight was made by Remington, then it has the Rock Island type 7 because Remington was using Rock Island Arsenal's machinery to make their 1903's.

that's right Fred and maybe the second one with the square top rib too

Nice Rifle Rick!

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post

I concur with Fred.

The first leaf was made by Remington. The second leaf was made by Perry Point.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Rick
    Nice rifle. I would have bought it. There are still nice ones out there waiting.
    Tom

Live in the People's Republic of Maryland

On the subject of RIA 1903s, I have one clearly marked on the receiver as Rock Island Arsenal with a serial number in the 4xxxxx range. I replaced the original stock with a CMP C stock for aesthetics, but kept the original. Can anyone clarify the RIA serial number range and dates for the 1903?