Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default New (to me) RIA M1903 #278,759

I was helping a guy I met on the Internet go through a gun collection and he had a Rock Island that was going to be part of the deal. I bought it for $800 plus shipping.

It is one of the "transitional" Rock Islands made when the forging method was changed. Although in the "low" range, John Beard said it one of those which received the later heat-treating method.

The serial number is 278,759 and it appears to be correct/original in most respects. It has a 5-18 RIA barrel with a C104 steel lot code for you who are keeping score.

The stock is beautiful. On the left side, the wood has a quarter-sawn grain with some slight tiger-striping; on the right side, it has sort of a swirled grain which isn't shown well in the pictures. However, the stock has been repaired in two places.

The bolt is an original RIo and all other parts appear to be original.

Got this to fill the "hole" for a WWI RIA.

"We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Beautiful rifle! Interesting stock repairs! Thanks for sharing!

That's a Really Nice rifle that would've been tough to pass up for more than what you paid. I like it! Even has the R.I. rear sight leaf. Way to go! Got any more pictures of it?

Anything in particular you want to see?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    That's a Really Nice rifle that would've been tough to pass up for more than what you paid. I like it! Even has the R.I. rear sight leaf. Way to go! Got any more pictures of it?
    How can you tell a R.I. sight leaf from a S.A. one? Thanks.

The bases on the "7"s are straight on RIA '03s; those Springfield rear sights have curved bases.
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    The bases on the "7"s are straight on RIA '03s; those Springfield rear sights have curved bases.
    Just looked at my SA and RIA 03's. By "bases" do you mean the leg of the "7"? If so I have a RIA sight on my SA, and a SA on my RIA. Learning is fun!

Beautiful rifle. Well worth every dime you paid. Would have gladly bought it myself. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Yes, the leg or base of the 7s on the rear sight leaf - "straight" = RIA; "curved" = SA.
    --C.S. Lewis

Rick are you sure about the 7 issue? Looking at the pictures of your sight leaf it looks like the base of the 7 is curved.