1. Default How do you reassemble a Unertl Rear Ring Adjuster?

OK, I just had to count how many actual, total clicks of elevation my recently acquired Unertl USMC Rear Ring really had - and ran the scope tube "button" end of the adjuster off of the threads........

It looked simple, just shove it back up to the threads and thread it back on, Right? Nope. Now the threaded stem does not turn when you turn the knob. What?? Not being willing to damage such a rare piece, I am going against my male nature and asking for information (Help!) from my fellows here.

What's the secret, fellow Unertl fans? CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

2. Default

Figured it out - the threads on mine work backward from what you would expect. It's the simple things, Right? Also, you will need a small clamp to compress the ball under the internal click knob to help with assembly. Do not take it apart except in a controlled space over a white towel, NOT OVER CARPET - the ball is TINY and easy to lose.

It was a happy accident that I had to take it apart, though - there was very light rust on all the internal threads, etc, that needed to be cleaned off and lubed. I wonder how many Unertl adjusters that got rain soaked and never got cleaned and relubed?? CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 03-10-2015 at 03:51.

3. Default

I had to laugh on this one. I've installed, correction, 'attempted' to install tiny pins with tiny springs, while in our kitchen, on carpet, and, IT'S GONE! Always found them, ( so far ) but 'never' any fun. I should keep a 'big' cardboard box around.

Any thing with tiny parts and springs can be worked on in a large clear plastic bag. Others I've talked to also use a magnetic pad in front of them in addition to the bag.

5. Default

Thanks for the tips, joem. Some of these parts are rather hard to source, so losing them could be pretty serious.... CC