Default Colt Bankers Special Railway Mail Service

Hey folks. I thought I would post a couple of pics of my Bankers Special 38S&W. I carried one of these back in the 60's when working for the Railway Mail Service. I just wish ammo was a little more available and not so expensive. Being 85 years old it still locks up tight and shoots fairly well. This is the time of year that I go through the safe and clean...maintain my guns. A lot of history in these old Colts. Regards. Rich100_1497.jpg100_1500.jpg100_1502.jpg100_0986.jpg
    IGNORANCE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE COMMODITY THAT YOU CAN OWN

Is the caliber .38 short Colt?

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    Is the caliber .38 short Colt?
    The caliber is 38s&w or Colt NP. I don't think Colt cared to stamp the caliber as 38s&w so they called it Colt NP(new police). The ammo in the pic is some old Winchester head stamped NP. I've always referred to it as 38 s&w. It's the same caliber. Hope this helps. Be safe and God bless. Rich
    IGNORANCE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE COMMODITY THAT YOU CAN OWN

Great looking ol' wheel gun!

Ed

Carried one just like it on the Will&Sea middle division during the same time frame. Was the firearms instructor for the office I worked in. Used to qualify the registered mail clerks in the maintenance tunnels under the main building once a year. Was working the registry cage one night and the postal inspectors came in and confiscated all the pistols. Probable didn't want anyone "going postal" with Post Office firearms. Offered to furnish photo's for a postal museum of railway mail clerks wearing guns aboard the trains, they declined my offer.

Doug

Somewhere I have some old cases that are head stamped 38 sh colt. They are the same length as .38 S&W. Once in a while I shoot them in some old wheel guns.

7. Default

Here is one that I picked up a while back. The holsters come up from time to time on eBay.[URL=http://s29.photobucket.com/user/Blockislander/media/RMS%20Bankers%20special/DSC_0073_zpsa0cd94f3.jpg.html][/URL