Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Odd military dining experiences

Hybrid View

1. Default

When I joined up with the USAF in 76 every thing was chow runner and chow hall and eating chow or food or grub. Some time between then and my one year Alaska vacation in 90/91 at King Salmon the Air Force got all snooty and high falootin'. I must have missed that memo because a chuckle headed TSgt jumped my backside when I told him I liked how well the chow hall was looking. It was a "Dining Facility!" said he. He was very adjitated to say the least to the point of veins popping in his neck. Oh well pardon me all to hell. Always said Chow Hall after that. Still do.

This same chuckle head had a survey a couple of months later. One of the questions asked what personnel on the station did not want to see on the menu. I wrote, in my chicken scratch, basically don't cook anything that every one says tastes like crap. Holy crapski! This guy somehow had the brain cells to figure out it was me. He banned me from the DFac and we had an appointment to see the Major. The Deputy Commander was a smart and good officer and if he made General the USAF would be a better place. So I had to explain to the Major that he had asked a question and he misread the answer. He said Thank and your dismissed. Didn't matter to me too much. Being banned would have gotten me Seperate Rats. The end result was TSgt Chucklehead was not to: 1. have unapproved surveys. 2. show his personnel survey replies. 3. Not allowed to make the threat of banning personnel. He was to suck it up when the Staff Sgt told him it was a chow hall.

I was not banned from the chow hall. dang. The one thing I didn't get to do was catch him on a dark alaska night and brain him with a 2x4. But hey. There's always tomorrow.

The whole episode was too surreal at the time.
    Last edited by CJCulpeper; 02-15-2019 at 07:15.
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

Blog Entries

Assignment to Shemya 83 - 84, next to last island in the Aleutian Chain (It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there). Best way to kill an unaccompanied 16 mo is to work it to death. Twelve hrs at work, play raquet ball another 4, then....midnight chow. Best meal of the day; bare 3 egg omlet to 3 egg "everything on the board", bacon and / or sausage, biscuts or toast and SOS (almost as good as the army makes), fried potatos (they knew how to make them crispy), whatever fruit wss available, coffee, milk, juice, soda. Morale was hi.

Remember, the front gate of Shemya was 1400 miles away at Anchorage; everything had to be flown in except once a year heavy equipment type stuff was barged in.
    Last edited by PWC; 02-16-2019 at 08:59.

MCRD--San Diego----The fat bodies were restricted on the amount of food they could have---us skinny recruits got more.
    I made the mistake of taking a orange The DI's were screaming at us to get out of the mess hall. I was told to eat the
    orange right now! I was told to eat it, not peel it. I ate the orange within a few seconds without peeling it. Last time I ate
    a orange in boot camp.

Siefly
    Last edited by Siefly; 09-20-2022 at 07:32. Reason: correction