Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Reading all this, and because I am cheap, how stupid would it be to take a chance on firing the remaining 72 suspect rounds???

Well, if the ratio of 1 failure in 8 shots holds up, you can expect about 9 more separations while firing the 72 rounds. If you take the precaution of using a spacer ahead of the rim to eliminate cartridge end-play, you may reduce the proportion.

If you can then refrain from aggressive full-length sizing that displaces the shoulder location established when the rounds were fired, you may find the cases have a bit of life left in them - at least with moderate loads.

See a more detailed explanation at http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearm...101-for-30339s

3. Default

The only case failure that is truly destructive is a base failure that cracks through the case head. The rest are annoying at best. I've had cases split atthe neck, shoulder, completely separate half way up, above the base as illustrated in this thread and even crack vertically in the case body but as long as the base remains intact, your rifle will also. Usually a separated .303 case will come out with another round pushed into the remains in the chamber and pulled back out. If not a cleaning patch on a rod will pull it out or a .45 bristle brush on a rod.

I have experienced CH separations w/ new domestic and foreign manufactured ammunition. I have had some instances where upon inspection of fired brass a CH separation would have occurred if that piece of brass had been reloaded. I have not had a CH separation using my handloads. A CH separation is typically the result of firing a round in a chamber that is significantly larger than the norm. It can occur firing factory new ammunition of handloads. With respect, if the rifle and ammunition were mine, I just shoot the ammunition and then scrap the brass. A CH separation is inconvenient, but it is no dangerous in a rifle that is in good condition.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

A friend once had a head separation with a .22 in a Marlin 39A lever gun. The case 'cylinder' ended up near the muzzle, left a ring and one very tiny piece of brass blew back along the bolt of the Marlin and just missed his cornea. We had to rush him back to Chicago for eye surgery. So it can be bad to have head separations! I absolutely refuse to own or shoot a 39A!

I shoot my .303 reloads until the case head comes off. I have a broken shell extractor so it's no big deal. I had a couple of case head seperations in the tumbler. I guess the brass was pretty thin anyway.

I have only had issues with S&B brass. I have bunch, but never reload it. I have more than ten reloads on my brass and I full length size each time. I only size in a single stage press and I go slow. I load moderate loads, not pushing anything and I reload for my nine Lee-Enfields. I tried to keep the brass separate for each rifle, but I gave up years ago. Privi seems to be some of the best brass.

TKacook
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!