Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default M1 carbine use on Guadalcanal?

In the book "They Were Ready. The 164th Infantry in the Pacific War, 1942 - 1945" there is a statement that on the night of the 24-25 October 1942, Seabees were the last line of defense for the airfield. They were armed with pistols and M1 carbines. I was wondering if anybody has any documented proof that the M1 carbine was issued and in use that early on Guadalcanal. I would think that pistols and M1903 rifles would be more likely weapons in the Seabees hands.

2. Default

I don't think that Garands even appeared on Guadalcanal until the Army arrived to relieve the Marines.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Speedgunner is right. There were no carbines or M1 Garands on Guadalcanal till the Army came ashore. The first use of the carbine in combat would be during Operation Torch in North Africa. The Marines were treated as second best back then and the Army got all the good stuff first.

Blog Entries

Seebeas were not Marines
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

The 164th Infantry received M1 rifles while training at Camp Claiborne, LA in 1941 prior to Pearl Harbor. I've always wondered if any were in gas trap configuration.

Might have been M17's also.

No the Seebee are not Marines but like Marines are part of the Navy and since the Army always has felt the Navy was secondary to them they did not get carbines or M1's till later as the Army controlled there distribution.

"...The Marines were treated as second best..." More by the Navy Dept. and their own higher-ups than anybody else. M1 Rifle wasn't adopted by the USMC until the Fall of '42.
    "...in gas trap configuration..." Gone before The Rifle was in full production.
    Spelling and grammar count!

The Marines on Guadalcanal had Reising model 50 and 55s SMGs ( pictures exist ) and it is rumored that model 60s were there , too ( though no pictures exist AFAIK ). Being how the 60 is the long barreled semi-auto version of the 50 , perhaps the Seabees are the source of the 60 sighting rumors and the 60s the source of the carbine rumor ?
    Chris

10. Default

Can Do!, author Huie's semi-official Seabee history, quotes extensively from an account by the CO of the 6th NCB, Commander Joseph P. Blundon. According to Rottman, the 6th was the only NCB on Guadalcanal until early Nov 42. The 6th sailed from SF on Jul 21. Here's what Blundon had to say about his battalion's early days:

The men in our battalion had not been together more
    than ten days before we left the States. We had been given
    our medical shots, a little hasty military indoctrination, and
    then we had been formed into a battalion and rushed to the
    South Pacific. We didn't kid ourselves. We weren't a trained
    military organization; we were just 1100 partially armed
    civilians. We had one '03 rifle for each two men. That was
    all that could be spared us.

Without a footnote citing a period document, I would dismiss the carbine claim entirely. The author may have understood that Seabee units later were close to 100% equipped with carbines and leapt to an unsupported conclusion.

Good eye by the OP. Trust but verify.