Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default butt stock kit and the kid

hello all,

as my son (7 yrs old) and i were working an 03-a3 i have acquired, he asked me what the door on the butt plate was for. i explained to him that the soldiers in the field needed a kit to clean their rifles and that they kept the kit in the stock. i then showed him the hole in the stock and how it lined up with the plate door. he then asked me where was the one for this rifle........ i told him i didnt have one. his reply - well, youve GOT to get one.

so.... this brings me to you all. ive seen the kits with the yellow tube with a pull through and brush inside. is there anything else? seems like its missing something.

thanks for the help,
    douglas

2. Default

Right here - your choice of WWII Plastic, new or used, or Brass:

http://www.billricca.com/03_springfield.htm

CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Mine is a long metal tube with caps at both ends. Holds all the stuff you need. Ebay usually has them @ around $20-25.

Both were used during WWII, especially towards the end of the war.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Hello
    PM sent
    Bob

Default butt stock kit

I checked my early SA 1903 s/n 160963 with a SA 2-07 dated barrel, The butt stock is without stock bolts anddscn1356_0018.jpgdscn1357_0019.jpgdscn1358_0020.jpg after removing
    the buttplate, noticed the cut for the spare parts container was not done, Photo shows the cleaning kit

As I recall, the "cut" for the spare parts kit wasn't introduced until @ 1911.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    As I recall, the "cut" for the spare parts kit wasn't introduced until @ 1911.
    Make that 1910, which is certainly circa 1911 as Rick says. I just installed one I got this weekend in my 1910 Springfield rifle with a 1910 Rock Island stock. I notice the tube I have has a leather or fiber button in one end, whereas another I have does not, although it has the pocket in the end for button. Was that to prevent rattling?
    Last edited by 11mm; 02-17-2015 at 02:07.

Yep. The leather tip was to go up against the butt plate.

RCS, is that Brush the early Large type of Rod Bayonet issue?
    Also, on the butt plate, are there a set of numbers stamped into the underside of the trap door?

Fred
    Last edited by Fred; 02-18-2015 at 09:40.