1. Default "Hunterized" early Inland and an old M1A1 stock

Some here might remember I listed a M1A1 highwood stock without the folding part on the trader here. I however didn't manage to finish a deal with someone.

Some time later I stumbled across a "hunterized" Inland M1 Carbine, with a 5-digit serial. It came with a sporterized stock (detachable butt), aswell as the folding rear sight is cut off to make a U notch. So I tried, and was lucky enough to be successful in purchasing it for € 300. While waiting for the final export approval I attended a gun show and on one table - I couldn't believe it - was the folding metal part of the M1A1 stock (though without rivets, buttplate spring and leather)! I took the chance and bought it.

A few days ago I finally successfully received the M1 carbine, and of course had to fit everything together. The rivets and the leather (and buttplate spring) is still missing, but I am pretty sure that somewhen I'll find the missing parts. Attached some pictures of the rifle. It's still not cleaned at all, neither the stock nor the rifle itself. However, the barrel is mirror bright and according to what I am able to read dating 9-42. The stamped barrel band is still the one which came with the rifle, the trigger group aswell still correctly marked Inland. And note that it still has the early type push safety.

Hope that you'll like it as much as I do - and in case someone has the parts I am looking for (well, I can have the leather cut locally aswell - but the rivets would be great!), let me know! Really keen to find out what you say to this rifle!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice find. Congrats! The rivets are available on e-bay. I know, I know, but if you must, sometimes you must!

Ed

Most if not all of the parts you need are available with a seller in France. He has a lot of M1A1 parts and he sells on Ebay all the time.

Dear PROMO:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=102029 Thread about reparkerizing a paratrooper stock and using commercial brake pad rivets on the leather:

http://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-e...ng-rivets.html quoted url in the thread.

Ebay auction item of M1A repair parts says that brass rivets were used originally.

TM 9-1276 page 58 fig 57 shows a close up of the stock extension which is the folding part of the paratrooper stock with the rivets labeled as pt no A295793

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?p=94884 states that the rivet is hollow brass type

Hope this helps

R.H. Brown

Steel rivets were also used as at one time there was a perceived brass shortage during the war. Both were also used during rebuilding.

Promo,

Just so you know Inland stated M1A1 production around the 30,000 range of serial numbers. Yours might be just a bit too early if it's 20,000 range.