1. Default Questions On Recent WW2 WRA M97 Trench Purchase

I have been reading all the old posts in the military shotguns forum trying to learn as much as possible from the experts here regarding the trench shotgun. I have been more into collecting Garands over the last 5 years and just moved into trench guns. I picked up what I believe is a nice original WW2 WRA M97 Trench and would like your opinions as I do have some unanswered questions. I used Bruce Canfields Book to help with purchase and have communicated with him on a couple questions that I had. There seems to be a great amount of knowledge here along with some serious collectors so I wanted to share some pictures in hopes someone may have some answers to my questions?

Appears to be correct with little use. Its has 42 dated barrel with a mirror bore, correct WW2 range matching SN's on barrel/receiver, nice correct GHD cartouche, stock appears unsanded with a correct WRA buttplate and varnish finish, Correct style and location of Flaming Bombs and WP proofs.

It also came with a nice WRA M1917 bayonet and leather scabbard with a early style leather attachment fairly rare I am told and a nice unmarked M1907 sling with steel frogs.

Now the questionable part is that it has a WW1 6 row hand guard instead of the WW2 4 row? Finish wear and condition seem to match

I have been told by other collectors that its a mid 42 year production build and during the changeover period and that either would be correct?

Also been told that many trench gun collectors believe that the 2 punch marks on the barrel & receiver mean it went through a late WW2 WRA rebuild contract to replace any worn or damaged parts?

So maybe the hand guard was damaged and WRA replaced them with leftover WW1 6 row guards ?

I am happy with it as my first example of a WW2 trench and would like to find a WRA Model 12 Trench at some point. I also would like to find a WW2 shotgun shell pouch.

Any thoughts or opinions? I can add more pictures if needed

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Rich

2. Default

It is a WWI bayonet lug and it was almost certainly, without a doubt NOT put on there by ordinance.
    From all I have ever been able to find out, they ran out of those after WWI, and the early WWII trench guns had UNMARKED 6 row handguards. Yours is WWI marked. The punch marks are thought to indicate some kind of arsenal work or proofing, no one really knows for sure. Your gun does not appear to be a re-work, although if it was, the re-blue was generally done at Winchester, as the arsenals did Parkerizing, not blue.

The GOOD news is that adapter is worth a ton of money, as they are quite rare. You can easily find someone with a four row who needs that for a WWI gun, and you should get some cash in the trade.

There should be a hole for the front bead sight in that serial range, filled withm German Silver. That is correct. That is a VERY late gun. Almost the end of production.

From the pics the gun looks very good. I would not lose sleep over the adapter, the four row ones do show up from time to time, and you can make some money on the exchange. Someone with a WWI trench in nich shape missing the lug would probably pay $1000 in a heartbeat for that one.

Very Nice!

4. Default

There isn't a German silver filled hole for front sight on barrel. What determines its a late production, is it the SN near the most encountered high range of 953,000 listed by Canfield? Are there other things help identify it as a late production other than SN? Thanks for your help and comments

5. Default

Yes, the serial is near the end. Most all of the ones in that range had a front bead hole drilled and filled at the factory.
    The US and the bomb on the receiver also make it "later" production, the earlier guns did not have the bomb, it was added sometime around March 1942. That was also around the time the inspector became GHD. The early inspector was WB. That is also around the time they started using the four row handguard.

But as I stated, yours is from WWI. The early WWII guns had an UNMARKED 6 row guard. The later guns had the 4 row. It looks from the photo like you have the second version handguard with the patent date. STILL WWI production, not correct for that gun.
    Last edited by scosgt; 02-11-2015 at 07:39.

6. Default

The trench guns with barrels that have the filled front bead hole start to show up right around the serial number of this gun, maybe even slight higher. So either way could be correct for this gun - with or without the filled bead hole.

7. Default

I appreciate the help from everyone to learn and better understand the M97. Glad to know what I have in the value of the WW1 hand guard. As I hope to add a couple more shotguns to the collections over time I will watch out for a original WW2 4 row hand guard. Who knows one day I may be lucky enough find a WW1 trench that needs a original 6 row hand guard. My plan for now is to leave as is and enjoy. Thanks Rich