1. Default Remington 1903a3 question...Now with pics..

Did any 4,000,000+ serial number Remingtons get issued in the field or did they basically sit in warehouses...The reason I ask is I just purchased one, worn, no rebuild marks and, I believe, has never been apart since issue as the bayonet mount screw is still staked and never been been out of the gun along with pristine screw heads on the rest of the rifle...Cartouches worn but present (RA/ boxed FJA) along with a large number 2 paint stenciled near the top of the buttplate on the top of the stock...Serial 4,079,453 with a 9/43 RA 2 groove barrel..All parts blued that should be (bands have gone to patina as has the trigger guard). How common are these "used non rebuilt" as I usually see these mint/unissued?...Will post pics in a couple days...MikeAttachment 29947Attachment 29948Attachment 29949Attachment 29950Attachment 29951
    Last edited by rockisle1903; 05-02-2019 at 10:54.

Keep in mind the rifle has been "out of service" for some 70 years. Just about anything could have happened. Even if it didn't go through military service, it could have been used for hunting, drill teams, just "banged around, or one of a million other uses that would have produced the wear. It all depends what happened to the rifle AFTER it left the military.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

Thanks for the reply Rick..It is hard to say how this one ended up the way it did and without documentation it is all just a story...

Remember too that the DCM-NRA sold two grades of A3's, "serviceable" & "unserviceable". From my experience the "serviceable" category was comprised of arsenal overhauled rifles (often thought to be new) and unissued rifles. The "unserviceable" category, which sold for about half the price of the serviceable rifles, were obviously issued, and while advertised as having good headspace, also had minor defects for which they had been set aside for in the 1st place. Typically this would include such things as bent swivels & front sight blades, cracked hand guards etc. The unserviceable inventory existed because the army had simply quit sending used A3's to rebuild. My cousin has an "unserviceable" Remington A3 that came from the DCM-NRA program with the butt stock chipped out at the butt plate. The rifle was obviously issued but the bore is excellent, nonetheless such a defect would require that the rifle be repaired, especially if it were destined for overseas duty. If memory serves me, serviceable A3's sold for $49 & unserviceable for $20, plus RR Express shipping. in the early 60's.

You also didn't ask "issued to WHO's Army"!

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    You also didn't ask "issued to WHO's Army"!
    Should that be "issued to WHOM's Army"?

The DCM also sold a number of Remington Rand 1911A1 pistols that were new unissued in the original shipping boxes that were classified as unserviceable. Also, large number of the pistols sold were the Model 1911 pistols that were fresh from rebuild, and also classified as unserviceable.

8. Default

A good "Tip Off" if the rifle was used by an ROTC school unit is a rifle that has a scratched and worn butt-plate and pretty much a pristine bore.The butt plate gets "worn" from being banged down {"Order Arms!!! HUH!} and on pavement time after time over several years.

ROTC units are notorious for using the rifles for a lot of drilling and no shooting!

9. Default A few more pics..

Last edited by rockisle1903; 05-02-2019 at 10:55.

10. Default

Used but not abused it appears to me...nice rifle to have !