Default Stock fit on New M1a

Greetings:

Just picked up a new (shipped from factory 1-22-2015) Springfield M1a. Can't say I'm too pleased with the stock fitting.

1. Buttplate has about a 1/8in gap between the plate metal and the stock, plus the edge of the wood where it's cut is harp, and probably prone to taking a chipping.

2. Front stock ferrule: again has at least 1/8in of wood hanging around the metal.

3. The stock liner screws are deeply fitted into the stock wood.

Has anyone had similar stock - metal fitting problems?

a. Has anyone tried fitting original M-14 metal to the Springfield M1a stock?

b. Totally replaced the entire Springfield M1a stock with a surplus M-14 stock. (with or without filling in the sear disconnector hole
    in the stock)?

Comments? Suggestions?

Richard H Brown Jr

2. Default

That's very disappointing for sure. I've heard that Springfield has descent customer service and perhaps they will exchange the stock. Give them a call.

Every wood stock I've handled from Springfield from their garands to their M1As have the poor wood fit like you describe. A used actual M14 military stock may fit alot better...MAY! Depends on how much money you want to spend. Boyd's stocks (that Springfield uses) is out of the queston. You can probably sand down your present stock. Or, contact DGR to see what he can do (probably around $2-300). If you ask Springfield for a replacement stock, you will wind up with anouther of their Boyds. I would recommend a military M14 stock first.

The stock liner screws are deeply set into the wood because the stock is fatter. Most folks prefer that over the slender military stock. As far as the buttplate and ferrule fit it sounds like you could take something like a belt sander and remove a little wood for a closer fit. I have a lot of m1a/m14 stocks for my rifles, what I don't like about using the m14 military stock is that the receiver appears to be moved to the left due to the slot and original placement of the selector. My 2 cents worth.