Default 1903 striker/safey issue

In my collection of 03"s I have a CMP Greek-Rock Island rebuild ( I bought this from CMP) and I have a Springfield low number rebuild with a 8-42 barrel (SA GAW stock mark). On both of these the safeties do not want to engage the striker. Pulling the striker slightly to the rear on both will allow the safety to engage. I tried swapping parts around and it seems the problem is with the strikers. I was just wandering is this a common occurrence ? I am thinking how did the Sprig. low number leave the rebuild facility like this. These rifles do not look like they have had someone other than the rebuild facility touch them. Thanks. Ed

It's a very common problem. Another striker may or may not fix it, as may a different sear. The basic mechanical problem is that sear and cocking piece engage each other too far forward for the safety's twin lugs to enter the two grooves in the cocking piece (without pulling back a bit on the knob). It's essentially a result of "stacked tolerances". If handy with a Dremel, one can widen the grooves and/or narrow those little lugs a bit and get it working - but it's ususally not pretty and it's possible to go too far and create a condition where the rifle could fire when the safety is released.

In NRA and CMP competitions the safety on a bolt gun isn't normally used anyway. An open bolt and empty chamber inidicator does the job instead.

it's possible to go too far and create a condition where the rifle could fire when the safety is released.

I purchased an '03 from CMP that had this problem. You had to pull the striker back slightly to engage the safety.

BIG PROBLEM. If you pulled the trigger with the safety engaged, nothing happened. BUT if you - THEN TURNED THE SAFETY OFF - the weapon would immediately fire!

I returned the weapon and CMP fixed the problem.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

It is usually a problem when BUBBA grinds on the sear to make the trigger pull "better".

I don't think Bubba had any thing to do with these. But you are right I have seen Bubbas work on other firearms. Thanks for the come backs. Might just leave the way they are. I really don't shoot my collectors any way. Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    it's possible to go too far and create a condition where the rifle could fire when the safety is released.

I purchased an '03 from CMP that had this problem. You had to pull the striker back slightly to engage the safety.

BIG PROBLEM. If you pulled the trigger with the safety engaged, nothing happened. BUT if you - THEN TURNED THE SAFETY OFF - the weapon would immediately fire!

I returned the weapon and CMP fixed the problem.
    The problems you describe are mutually exclusive. If one has to pull the cocking piece back to engage the safety lock, then there is no way it can fire after pulling and releasing the trigger, then releasing the safety lock. One problem is masking another.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 02-09-2015 at 09:15.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserdad View Post
    In my collection of 03"s I have a CMP Greek-Rock Island rebuild ( I bought this from CMP) and I have a Springfield low number rebuild with a 8-42 barrel (SA GAW stock mark). On both of these the safeties do not want to engage the striker. Pulling the striker slightly to the rear on both will allow the safety to engage. I tried swapping parts around and it seems the problem is with the strikers. I was just wandering is this a common occurrence ? I am thinking how did the Sprig. low number leave the rebuild facility like this. These rifles do not look like they have had someone other than the rebuild facility touch them. Thanks. Ed
    Your rifles' problem is very common and results from a tolerance stackup or excessive wear. The simplest thing to do is just live with it. It's not dangerous. The repair with the greatest chance of success is to replace the cocking piece with a cocking piece from a late Remington M'03-A3.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

John, thank you for the comeback. I am more of a collector than a shooter. Will just leave her as is. She is what she is. Ed