Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Springfield Model of 1922

Hi
    Still not sure how to post pictures on this web site yet. I'll try to explain what I have. SA over R boxed rebuild stamp on a low comb finger grove stock. Circle P behind trigger guard. Checkered butt plate with no oil hole door.Under butt plate stock is drilled for the oiler (2 holes). On receiver it says US Springfield Armory Model of 1922 Cal. .22M2 Serial 1723A Barrel date of 10/30. Capital T stamp near receiver. NS M2 bolt drawing number on top is D28223-2 on bottom drawing number is D28222-2. Serial number on bottom matches receiver its split between the two half's of the bolt. Sight looks to be Lyman not sure of model. I was wondering do these type rifles show up on the SRS data base ? and was this stock reshaped at SA. I know I need to post pictures. I need to wait to the wife get back from Florida to help.

If you want to email me the pictures, I'll be glad to post them. Contact me at rrsbls[at]msn.com

RtL
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

I didn't need the wife after all

Oops - you beat me to the punch!

"We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

What you have is a 1922 Model Springfield. It was reworked using a reshaped 1922M1 issue stock created by shaving off the pronounced pistol grip, probably to make is look more in line with the M2 stocks currently in production. The early 1922M1 issue stocks had a trap in the buttplate, which, by the way, is the same buttplate used by the 1903 match rifles. The early stock were drilled to accept the 30 cal cleaning kits (not sure why). At around 6000 this was changed eliminating the holes and going to the coarse buttplate sans trap. There is an old article by Eyeberg suggesting that the 1922 model rifles were converted only to the M2 stage and this appears to be true, though a number of 1922 rifles never left Springfield with the original 1922 bolt, but rather were fitted to the later, single firing pin 1922M1 bolt before ever being sold or issued. The "A" marking on the receiver is fairly scarce, only appearing on 1922 converted rifles (as far as I have been able to observe). You will find 1922 rifles marked with the B, but these seem to be less common. The M2 marking will only appear on the 1922's since the 1922M1's already had an "M" marking. A now deceased 22 collector, Fred Ewalt, started a list of these converted 1922's comparing features. I have that list somewhere if interested.

Blog Entries

I think Kragrifle has covered all the bases in describing your rifle.

Some of the original Model of 1922 Rifles are on the SRS list. The serial number of your rifle does not appear in my SRS data.

Fred Ewalt said in a US Martial Arms Collector article that the A suffixed 1922's were one of the scarcest sub-variations but I believe
    they are more common than he indicated. I have owned a couple of them and have observed several more.

Gents: Thanks for the "continuing education"! Does Springfield M1922 serial 12,799 appear in your (pl) records? Thanks, Geoff

8. Default

One more question does my T marked barrel mean targeted.

9. Default

Any idea how many were converted to M2 ?