Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Personally I wouldn't load a cartridge that jams the bullet .020" into the rifling. As noted above, dangerous pressure can result. Mebbe the old timers; Schutzen shooters would seat the bullet into the lands and follow that with a charged case, but I don't believe that would be safe with modern smokeless powders. Again as noted above, the exact chamber depth/distance to the lands will prolly be different in every rifle an you would have to determine that dimension on your particular rifle and bullet...

D
    Quote Originally Posted by aintright View Post
    Have been building some loads for a rifle and came across this load info that recommends seating the bullet .020 into the jam . So does this mean that I should seat the bullet .020 longer than O.A.L. ?
    I was always taught to back it off the lands by .010 or so . Just want to make sure I am interpeting this right . I don't doubt the fellows load data as he is a very competitive shooter and probally forgotten more about guns than I'll ever know and really don't have anyway to communicate with him .
    Kenneth
    I am late on this and do not understand why one would "jam" the bullet into the lands... are you going to be able to extract/eject the round without the bullet remaining "jammed" in the rifling?

It sort of reminds me of "compressed" charges... I have used wooden dowells to pack IMR 4350 into 8 MMX57 cases, but there is a limit to the mount of crushing you can do... there are critical limits on "jamming" as well as "crushing."
    Last edited by RED; 01-29-2015 at 08:09.

3. Default

The reason the author of the article was Jamming the bullet , was that he was getting better accruacy with certain types of bullets . As I said , I have not yet tried this and am not sure if my level of shooting skills or type of rifle will actually show a gain from it . This is being done by extremely accurate shooters and rifles and by shooters that have a lot higher understanding what affects chamber pressures than apparently you or I . If you read the German Salazars articles , he explains why he does this , a few of his articles are in the the gun talk section where I posted about the 30-06 .
    You have to read the entire article , parts 1,2, and 3 , there are many links in the article that gives a wealth of information on loads and various calibers , rifles , and shooters past and present . But you have to be patient and read it all . Thanks for all the responses , we all gain from these discussions .
    Kenneth

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

If you are shooting .87 inch groups for a deer hunting rifle you are MORE THEN accurate enough!! I would forget about jamming any bullets into the rifling unless you are a BENCHREST competitor.
    I shot in NRA highpower and I never ran across someone who did this technique, although I do recall one fellow in 300 meter international match competition who was shooting a 6 PPC (or some such thing) and HAD TO FIRE to clear the rifle otherwise he would execute the "bullet pull and powder dump" into his $5000 comp rifle that looked like a work of art with a tuning fork and an alum stock that had more adjustments then a Bridgeport milling machine!
    There have been people winning over the course matches (200, 300 and 600 yards) with a 2 MOA rifle !
    .87 is more then adequate in my humble opinion.
    Now if you are shooting prairie dogs at 500 to 1000 yards, then you will need 1/2 MOA !
    HTH
    Bob