Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SysAd Guest

Default Remembering the Major

Please use this forum to post your stories and memories of our beloved Major Dick Culver.

2. Default

I simply wish i could have shook his hand. Would love to hear some stories!

3. Default

I first became acquainted with Dick in the 1990s when he was running a Gun Talk-like forum sponsored by the CMP. CMP closed that site, which led Dick and Gloria to take the whole operation to their own server and stand up the CSP. In those days I was a daily reader and posted frequently. Dick inspired my love of M1s, but more importantly, his thrilling sea stories, and his skill as a storyteller motivated me to make a life-changing decision and join the U.S. Marine Corps myself. He was a mentor to me and provided a letter of recommendation for my application to Officer Candidate School in 1999. We met in person one time, at the CMP warehouse in Anniston for a couple of days of sorting surplus M1s for the CMP, listening to a lot of colorful stories, and talking turkey about life in the Marine Corps before I shipped out to Quantico. He was a great man who lived a full and fascinating life, but he passed too soon. Once I became a Marine infantry officer myself and got swept up in deployments and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, I more or less dropped off the internet and lost touch with Dick and the CSP. I've only now discovered that he passed. I offer my heartfelt condolences to Gloria, and I can state that a little bit of Dick's memory still endures in the active Marine Corps today. We are grateful for his legacy as a combat Marine and his contributions to Marine Corps marksmanship and sniper training.

Blog Entries

What has happened to the links in "Remembering Major Culver"?

None of them work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    What has happened to the links in "Remembering Major Culver"?

None of them work.
    dunno, out of town, will look when I get back home

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    dunno, out of town, will look when I get back home
    Any luck?

Blog Entries

none, will email pat

Blog Entries

went back and looked, no threads have been deleted in his section since forever
    not sure how to trace or see edits, but will try,

I doubt Pat did anything
    she was very adamant last we communicated that nothing related to Maj Culver be touched

I’m not having any trouble with the Majors Camel tales or the Majors Jouster stories. FWIW

JOHN IN SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Never had the pleasure of speaking with the Major. When I came to this forum, I believe he had passed. What I know about him has been gleaned from the material found at this site. For that reason, I consider the Major to be a man that should be held in high regard. That I do. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."