Default WTK: Sling information

Hi, I have an original WWII sling. years of dirt and sweat. What were the finishes on the metal? C clips, fastener, snap and the adjustment hatch. Looks like pint on the snap. My clips are bare with some rust. I wanted to redo it to perserve it. I do have a later one and every thing looks blued or black oxide.

The snaps on the type 1 slings were the lift the dot type and were painted brass. The ends of the sling was a C shaped steel end that was parkerized. The type 2 slings which were olive drab in color had snaps made of steel as brass had become in short supply about mid 1943. Buckles were steel and parkerized.

Thank you. My lift the dots still have black paint on them but both clips are worn to the metal. Looking at an original you can definately see the difference betwen them and the aftermarket ones.

Top and bottom are M1 Carbine slings

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by n64atlas; 02-23-2015 at 02:40.

5. Default

I think top sling is repro, next two down is Riesing slings. (You can tell by the distance between stud and socket) Bottom is genuine carbine sling. JMHO.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary D. Funderburg View Post
    I think top sling is repro, next two down is Riesing slings. (You can tell by the distance between stud and socket) Bottom is genuine carbine sling. JMHO.

Gary
    The top is real, it was bought long before the repros were available. The collector market was not very big when I obtained that sling. (before "Saving Private Ryan")
    This is the only fake/Repro sling I have: and the middle two are Reising slings, I collect H&R Reisings
    Last edited by n64atlas; 04-26-2015 at 08:35.

7. Default

Ask Bill Ricca if genuine. See what his opinion is. C Tip is to short. I have been making carbine slings for over 30 years. There were reproduction Carbine slings in the 1960s.
    Last edited by Gary D. Funderburg; 04-29-2015 at 10:11.

I did ask Bill many years ago, he said it was real. I bought my first carbine in 1971. A carbine cost $90 back then. Sling and oiler could be
    had for less than $5. There were a ton of them around at the time. Why would they need to be reproduced? People bought these to shoot,
    not collect back then. Some even changed out flip sights because they like the adjustable ones better, reinactor drilled barrels to instal
    Hollywood blank adapters.
    Last edited by n64atlas; 04-30-2015 at 01:52.

9. Default

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...ght=Bill+Ricca

Go look at this one and go down to last PICs to see the real ones.