1. Default Dark Spotting on Stock Inquiry - Photo Link Added

I started this new thread regarding the spots on my rifle to provide a link to photos (I tried to edit the title of my original thread, but the material added didn't show when viewed in the main forum list of threads)

At any rate, here's the photo link: http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/Ed...slideshow/1903

Thanks again for your opinions as to what may have caused the spots.

Deacon

2. Default

I am wondering if those "dark spots" in the wood were caused by imperfections in the wood. Maybe the result of a disease. A forestry expert might could answer that question for you. About 40 odd years ago I worked for a small enterprise that used a North Star Carving Machines to carve out gun stocks out of walnut blanks. One thing I can assure you is that one will never know what he will run into until the stock is fully carved from the walnut blank. I recall running into hollow knots and similar imperfections.

I am sure that the gunstock department at Springfield had a list of guidelines as to what was and was not acceptable so far as imperfections and flaws in the finished gunstock. Dark spots in the wood would not constitute any reason the stock would be rejected if the wood in the dark spots was sound.

It is an acid stain.

4. Default

That's an interesting thought about the stock possibly being cut from diseased wood, Southron. Some of the spots do look deeply imbedded, as if they'd been there in the wood blank before it was shaped into a stock, though the larger spots look like they're the result of some fluid being dropped on the wood.

As to the possibility of the spots being acid stains, Musketshooter, is there some type of acid compound associated with firearms maintenance? I haven't heard of such a thing, but then I'm by no means an expert in such things.

Looks like oil stains to me. I finished a dresser in linseed oil some years ago and somehow a leaky 3 in 1 oil can was placed on it. The can mark is still there after more than 40 years.