1. Default Receiver Question

Hi,

Have built several carbines from scratch but just encountered something new with a receiver I got from CMP many years ago and just got around to working on.

The hole that holds the mainspring and spring guide is drilled clear through the receiver, from front to back, all the way through. Never saw one drilled all the way through. It is a 7 digit Standard Products 2009XXX apparently mid-1943. The "Exit hole" at the rear of the receiver seems slightly smaller in diameter than the "entrance hole" at the front.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? Does this receiver require different parts to build than others with holes that DON'T go clear through?

I know some early models had some type of housing that held the spring...but I've never seen one in real life. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Not unusual at all and can be considered to be normal. The hole is too small for the recoil spring to get caught in but the recoil spring rod can pass through it. The early carbines by Winchester and Rock-Ola were made to take the detachable spring tube instead of having a hole in receiver for the recoil spring. All receivers made by Quality Hardware used the spring tube through out their production. At one point Inland used at least 10,000 receivers that the drill had run out of the receivers and they could not be used for normal use. These were finally milled out and spring tubes were used on these. Run out of the deep hole drilling was a problem early on that was finally corrected.

3. Default

Thanks Tuna. So not anything rare, huh? Do I use all the same parts as the ones that have the regular holes? I don't need the housing...just the regular spring and guide rod...is that correct? Nothing else different?

I also did not understand one thing in your post. Mine is a Standard Products...was my receiver manufactured this way on purpose, or was it a production error?

Thanks

Most likely made that way and it will take standard parts. The hole could be a bit larger then normal but as long as the receiver functioned it didn't matter and it was used.

5. Default

The hole the OP is referring to, the one at the rear of the receiver, was put there to help keep debris out of the operating spring hole. It also makes it easier to clean out the operating spring hole. Depending on the serial number of the receiver the hole could have been drilled during production or during a rebuild.