Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Mark on p14 receiver

I have a Winchester p14 that has a p stamped on top of the receiver. I was told that the rifle given to Russia via the Brits. I would like to know if this is correct.

Thank You in Advance.

The British didn't supply rifles to the Russians in WWII that I am aware of. I have seen pictures of P-14s being handed out to partisans during the war but those were likely rifles that were swept up when the Russians became involved in the Baltic states early in the war.

3. Default

I just read an article in Shotgun news that states the British supplied p14 rifles to Latvia,Lithuania, and Estonia. These countries were part of Russia until the end of the 1917 revolution. Maybe they were stamped at that time.
    Thank You for your help twh.

They were sold/supplied to the newly independent republics after the end of WWI and had nothing to do with Russia.

5. Default

Is it a capitol or lower case. My first thought was that it was a partial "DP" drill purpose stamp.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by skinny58 View Post
    I have a Winchester p14 that has a p stamped on top of the receiver. I was told that the rifle given to Russia via the Brits. I would like to know if this is correct.

Thank You in Advance.
    I am a real dunce. I was told that there was a P stamped on the receiver. Double checked today, well it is a Star not a P.

I am still looking for your help

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by skinny58 View Post
    I am a real dunce. I was told that there was a P stamped on the receiver. Double checked today, well it is a Star not a P.

I am still looking for your help

Thank you
    My Winchester P 14 has the star stamp. My understanding is that it indicates the completion of a modification to the receiver.

8. Default

The * is part of the update which all rifles underwent, at least those which were still under British rule.

Some Winchesters carry an encircled star on the receiver ring indicating the upgraded bolt.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Some Winchesters carry an encircled star on the receiver ring indicating the upgraded bolt.
    Now that you mention it, the modification had something to do with the locking lug(s) on the bolt. There is a five point star also stamped on the bolt handle of my Winchester P14 rifle, just above the serial number. I believe the modification turned the designation of the P14 from No3 Mk1 to No3 Mk1*. I note that the bolt serial # on my rifle is mismatched from the receiver, but it is a Winchester bolt. I think I recall reading that there was no effort made to keep bolt/rifle serial #'s together during the modification process, but I could be wrong on that.