Thread: 308 garand

1. Default 308 garand

I have a 308 garand and it throws the brass all ove r the place. The rifle is well cleaned and greased as it is required. All else seems ok. The clip comes out as it should when last round is fired. Is this a timing issue or normal when changed to 308. How to check timing?

I actually covered this in another thread, but it's way down.

When I first installed a .308 barrel in my Garand, it was throwing the empty cases 20 Feet to the right. All kinds of suggestions were made but I got this suggestion from Gus.

He said to pull the bolt, disassemble, take the small Ejector Spring out behind the Ejector. With cutters, clip one ring off, essentially shortening it a bit. Try it out ... if necessary, remove and clip another ring off.

It worked for me.... my cases now drop nicely 3 Feet to the right.
    --------------------------------
    Certified Internet Warrior Status: Achieved.

Has to do with the ejector, like UUURah and whoever Gus is says. Buy another before you start cutting though. $2.35 at Gunparts.
    Spelling and grammar count!

The gas port hole in the barrel is supposed to be around .100 inch for the .308 Garand.
    If the .308 barrel gas port is well under .100 inch, (too much pressure) this could case ejection problems.
    IIRC, the standard hole for the 30.06 Garand is .079.

Tip: Barrel Gas Port for .308 M1 Garand
    EMAIL:
    Date: 18 May 1999
    Time: 11:07:33
    Comments
    Most of the standard replacement .308 barrels seem to have a gas port hole size around .080", which is correct for .30-06, but NOT for .308.
    The issue 7.62mm barrel had a gas port size of .106." This hole size is actually larger than required. I find the Number Drill bit that will give you a .096" hole is plenty. Some people like .100", but I've never found that to be required as long as the ammo falls in spec with military ball or Federal American Eagle or Premium Ammo.
    I spend a LOT of time aligning the hole in the drill press to ensure the larger sized drill bit will go down through the center of the hole. It helps that the path of least resistance for the larger drill bit will pretty much keep it centered when you drill it. Any metal burrs, that result from the drilling, get smoothed out after 10 to 20 rounds.
    Last edited by rkohut; 01-01-2015 at 03:48.

Gus Fisher is a well respected armorer for garands and M14s. His advice is comes from years of working on those rifles.