Default Colt M4 Trigger creep...?

Was bench shooting my Colt M4 Carbine the other day and I noticed a whole lot of "trigger creep".
    Cant really say I ever noticed this before.
    Actually it seemed like it would do it twice before firing the gun?
    Might there be some adjustment that could have changed that I could remedy??
    Anyone know of a fix??
    Thanks

2. Default

I don't know much at all that can be done with a stock trigger. Clean and lube?

You could look at ALG Defense. They sell excellent quality standard trigger units. Very much better then a stock trigger. Geissele for one of the best you can buy. Both ALG and Geissele, while different companies, are the same family. I have triggers from both and am very satisfied.

[url]http://algdefense.com

http://geissele.com/triggers.html

hth
    Last edited by bonnie; 12-25-2014 at 12:18.

With acclimation, my Colt semi-auto M4A1 SOCOM trigger is almost 2-stage. Acc to review-type material I've seen (can't recall exactly where), it's the same trigger that went on the burst or or FA M4. It gets better with break-in.

4. Default

It will get better with use - the military tolerances sometimes come out nice, sometimes not. I understand, in addition to those mentioned, that the Rock River and Colt's special accurized rifle (don't recall the model right now) are drop in triggers that give a nice pull. Check online at Brownell's - I'm sure you will find plenty - or just lube it and shoot it a lot! CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

5. Default

Seeing as I use my ARs for varmint hunting, I cheat. I install a 3 lb timney. If one goes this route, check out the web, as prices vary somewhat. I also installed a smith trigger once. It made a difference, but I still shoot better with the 3 lb timney,
    ( for my use. )

6. Default

Whenever I put together a new rifle, I look for a lower parts kit with no trigger. If I can't, I just throw the stock trigger away. All of the alternate triggers suggested are tremendous improvements and I wouldn't mess with a stock trigger, just replace it and don't look back. Decide whether you want single stage or two stage. We have a couple of different Geissele's, two stage national match triggers from Armalite and Rock River, and a single stage drop in unit with no name that someone gave me (looks like Timney but no marks or lettering). You can take your trigger out and inspect the sear surfaces, they do wear. But if you get that far, I wouldn't put it back in.

7. Default

I would note that, in a defensive firearm, a small amount of creep if it occurs in the right place in the trigger pull may not be a negative. I have one pistol with very slight creep just before the sear releases - as soon as I feel it, I know that any more pressure will fire the weapon. I deliberately have left it alone, as it provides an instant mental "reality check" as I do a final line up of my sights. I call it "good creep", an additional indicator of my weapon's imminent firing status, and I consider it a positive attribute for this particular carry gun.

On a rifle, particularly used for sport hunting or targets, creep is definitely undesireable. For accuracy work, I like a crisp trigger as much as anybody else! CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 12-27-2014 at 02:48.
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Thanks to all so much for the advise and info.
    I really am very new to these types of rifles. I really never thought that I would like one of these as my favorites are black powder longrifles. I bought this gun for my youngest son that served in Iraq, as a Colt M4 was his weapon. I have three sons and had a nice old M1 Carbine planned for each. Then when Ben served in Iraq I figured I'd give him that instead, as he always talked about them.
    But the other day I was shooting it off a bench trying to site it in. Thats when I noticed the creep. It made it very hard to really zero in.
    I have it shooting pretty well now, but if I do much more with it I will change the trigger.
    Thanks again to all.