Default M1 Carbine Questions

Have a few questions regarding M1 Carbines.

One of my friends has an authentic paratrooper stock that was brought back by a relative while in occupation in Europe during the mid-late 1940's. I do not remember the specifics but that's not necessarily important.

It does not have a barreled action just the stock and hardware. He's looking to put a Inland barreled action to complete it. Does anyone know if there were a serial number ranges that would be appropriate for it? Were Inland the only producers of the paratrooper configuration?

Also, I recently used...
    http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/ as a resource for my IBM restoration project for subcontractor parts as well as what manufacturers produced what parts and which companies swapped parts with each other. Is this a fairly accurate resource for that sort of information?

Thanks for the help anyone can offer,

Andrew

Yes , Inland was the only original maker. There were two runs of them , though , and the stocks are a little different . Does he know if it's first or second run ? If not , others here will chime in on the differences or we may need some pics .
    Chris

3. Default

Merry Christmas, Smokeeaterpilot
    There were 2 types of M1A1 stocks produced so your friend will need to determine which type he has before we can tell which serial number range it is appropriate for it. This is all under the assumption that the stock doesn't have any rebuild marks on it. If it has rebuild stamps, then any M1 carbine could be appropriate for it. If you can post close up pix of the pistol grip, top of the stock behind the recoil plate, right side of stock maybe it can be determined what he has. Hope this helps!
    Maniac
    Established 2005

While Jim Mock's site is a great source of information it doe not come close to having all the information needed for a proper restore or restoration for all carbines.

There were two different times for M1A1 production. Only Inland made M1A1 carbines. From about serial number 30,000 November 1942 into the 3 early million block for the first run ending in October 1943. The second run stated in the 5.1 million block about May 1944 and ended in the 6.5 million block. No M1A1 carbines were made after December 1944. There are a couple of minor differences between the stocks. One was a high wood and the other was a low wood stock. Pictures of the stock would help to say which run it was made for.

Would it help if I take some pictures and post them?

I'll probably get together with him sometime after Christmas. Thanks so much for the help everyone.