Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with model ww2 model 97 riot gun

I purchased on GB a Winchester M97 "riot" gun. While the stock and butt plate are not original to the weapon, I was wondering about the rest of the gun.
    SERIAL NUMBER 925364
    RCVR MARKING IS A ( U.S. ) ON LEFT SIDE OF RECEIVER
    TOP OF BARREL IS THE ( WINCHESTER OVAL ) and in front of that the EARLY WIDE FLAMING BOMB
    BOTTOM OF BARREL, I CAN DETECT A ( 4) and what looks like a ( 1).

Stock is not marked and the stock has a fill in where the swivel went. The butt plate is checkered metal. I am sure both have been added on at some point. Obviously not Military replacement???

From what I have read, this serial number should have a 42 barrel date?? yes, no, maybe.
    can this weapon be taken down? And if so, can someone help me with it.
    It is also very hard to pull the slide back. It does, but not like it should be.
    I will try and get some photos in tonite or tomorrow. I believe it has been parked although the barrel looks blue.

Now, would someone have a correct stock and buttplate for this weapon. The stock on the shotgun now might be a correct M97 stock but not original to this weapon. No markings.

Bob In AZ
    ( THIRDHERD1965@COX.NET )
    Last edited by BOB IN AZ; 12-23-2014 at 03:40.

2. Default

Why don't you post the auction #?
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Brilliant, thanks. this was the auction that I got the shotgn from on GB 457541649

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=457541649
    Last edited by BOB IN AZ; 12-23-2014 at 04:31.

4. Default

A 1941 barrel date would be correct for that serial number.

5. Default

I believe it is an original riot. The serial is too low for a trench and they did use that bomb before the smaller one. Stock is wrong and of course the refinish hurts the collector value

SCOSGT....Thanks brother. I new it wasn't original when I purchased it. Is the stock wrong because it is not proofed, or wrong because it is not the right type of stock?
    Would you have any contacts in your world that could help me with the stock and buttplate?

bob

7. Default

The stock looks like the right type for a WW2 97. But it should have a WB cartouche on it.

Although the buttplate is not original, the Military did use Winchester metal buttplates like that for replacements. They usually are the type with the lip (or widow's peak as some call it) on top that rides over the top of the butt of the stock.

OP"It is also very hard to pull the slide back. It does, but not like it should be."

You may have to dismantle it and clean off the park on some internal parts and lube it up. Just a WAG.

Early WW2 97 cartouche stocks with the WB and cannons on the side a very rare.
    I have a WW2 early riot with a metal butt plate and cartouche which I been trying to replace for about 10 years.Finding good correct wood is a big problem with these guns.

I am sure it is. Is the cartouche a ( WB )?IF so, why would you replace it, unless you are looking for a WRA/RS.