1. Default Sling for a Krag?

My 1898 Krag is slingless. I have done some research and find many different slings used for Krags from Trapdoor slings clear up to M1 web slings. I have a nice (repro)M1907 leather sling. I also have a Kerr (repro) web sling which is currently on my 1917. I can either use the M1907 on the Krag, or take the Kerr sling off the 1917 and use it and use the M1907 sling on the 1917. I am leaning toward the Kerr sling for the Krag. What say you?

(BTW, I am assuming this is a M1907 repro). What is the difference between the M1903 and M1907 slings?

Krag's were originally equipped with used trap door slings, I believe. After that a 1907 or Kerr would be correct, depending who had the rifle at the time I imagine. M1 web would defiantly be incorrect as all Krags were out of service by then.

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

The M1887 leather sling would have been a likely choice for the M1898 Krag until the Model 1903 was developed. Then the 1907 would be okay. I think the difference between the 1903 and the 1907 was length. Visually, they are almost identical. The Kerr sling is perfect for the 1917 and I wouldn't change it if I were you (which, of course, I'm not). There was a web sling developed for the Krags when they went to the Philippines, but these are pretty rare and I don't think there are any reproductions currently being made. Visually, it is very similarl to the web sling for the British Enfields (SMLE's and likely the P13, as well).

Shooter? I vote 1907 and the Turner Slings are high quality.

My .02
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

I have had much trouble getting a Kerr on a Krag. I have one now that just will not go on, buckle will not go thru the swivel and buckles are always real tight going thru swivels!

I like the look of the Kerr, all the Krags at my local American Legion had them when I was a kid. However, the cloth of the repros won't take much pressure at the rivets and pulls away there. Originals may have a better weave and more strength. I would either go with the Turner 1903, or go all the way and get one of his competition 1907 slings. I have one of those with a 54" front piece (standard is 48"), thanks to some trading with Paul. I could stand a couple more inches to get the stock weld I want in prone, and will likely get a 56" in the future. I think with Turner's quality, whoever has your rifle 100yrs from now will appreciate your choice. Maybe not historically accurate, but very useful for shooting or carrying.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 70ish View Post
    The M1887 leather sling would have been a likely choice for the M1898 Krag until the Model 1903 was developed. Then the 1907 would be okay. I think the difference between the 1903 and the 1907 was length. Visually, they are almost identical. The Kerr sling is perfect for the 1917 and I wouldn't change it if I were you (which, of course, I'm not). There was a web sling developed for the Krags when they went to the Philippines, but these are pretty rare and I don't think there are any reproductions currently being made. Visually, it is very similarl to the web sling for the British Enfields (SMLE's and likely the P13, as well).
    Here is a link to an Excellent reproduction Krag web sling...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mills-Tropic...item4d1c7c874a

I believe that the 1903 leather sling and the 1907 leather sling are Very Much different. The 1903 has one section with one brass claw and a brass or bronze button. The 1903 was about 50" long and then there was an experimental type that can be found with 1905 dates on them that was 48" long. The 1907 of course has two sections and two claws.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Here is a link to an Excellent reproduction Krag web sling...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mills-Tropic...item4d1c7c874a

I believe that the 1903 leather sling and the 1907 leather sling are Very Much different. The 1903 has one section with one brass claw and a brass or bronze button. The 1903 was about 50" long and then there was an experimental type that can be found with 1905 dates on them that was 48" long. The 1907 of course has two sections and two claws.
    Thanks for the link Fred, I will seriously consider the Mills sling. I like the look of it a lot. I realize Turner slings are excellent products but I didn't want to spend that much on a sling. I don't plan to shoot this rifle in competitions. The sling is more to make it "correct" for the period. I also appreciate the info about the 1903 and 1907 slings. The one I have would be a 1907. I have other rifles I could use it on.

For what it's worth, the M1 Web sling is legal for CMP competitions... but the 1907 is actually better and easier to use. I have Turner's on mine, and I love em!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo