Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $1780.00

Default $1780.00

Surprised no one has mentioned the OALW carbine that just went for 1780.00.

Kinda looking for the new owner to post here.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

if he does, he'll wish he hadn't!

Truly, ignorance is bliss. As Bill used to say, "Nice gun, I wonder who made it." Except, in this case, we know.

The information about OALW was made available to the seller. We need to note that the seller clearly stated that the rifle was a rifle cut down to a carbine and still it went for 1780.00
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Which only means that the seller was honest, but, the scenario is still absolutely absurd, and indicates that the info was apparently not believed, and that P.T. Barnum and Ben Franklin were right.

Guys can't move real carbines for that. A POS by any other name is still a POS. Just my $0.02.

OALW? teach me Dick., what does that mean?
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Well there was more then one idiot bidding or it never would have went that high! I had one once, a very pretty thing it was! Paid 300 and sold it for 300 or so, years later.

Quote Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
    OALW? teach me Dick., what does that mean?
    OALW (which stands for "Ostberg Armory and *Locomotive Works") was/is the private mark (which appears in several forms/sizes over the years) of a tinkerer - now deceased - from the midwest who was (in)famous for assembling Krag "carbines". They are also called "Red Ryders" from the pronounced reddish tone of the stain he favored. He did good work - some of them are very nice looking, but they aren't real. To his credit, he did, unlike other fakers, mark his work - but - you had to be in the know or it did no good.

*same guy was also involved in toy train (Lionel) "refinishing", etc.

This info all from the late (and greatly missed) Col. Bill Mook, one of the deans of Krag collecting. He told me Ostberg's first name, but I have misplaced the note - it MAY have been Sidney (help needed here)

Two people I sorely miss ... Michael Petrov, for his knowledge of M1903 sporters AND Bill Mook on Krags!

It's not the seller's fault - if a couple of knuckleheads want to bid up an item, that's their problem!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Thanks for the explanation of "OALW"!

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    Thanks for the explanation of "OALW"!
    Me, too -- I knew I had heard the term but was too lazy to look it up.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis