Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I looked up Patton's promotions once. Between his regular army promotions and his army of the United states promotions, he could have had a bunch of swords made.
    They only had one, Patton's driver called the one he was carrying a stick when Patton wore 3 stares.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 08-04-2016 at 03:07.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Just a note, Patton didn't invent a sword, he simply copied the British one. The scabbard is identical as is the blade and hand guard. There is a minor difference in the grip
    Essentially, the two swords are similar. However I can see that the Patton sword is a bit heavier and wider. The scabbard is sturdier too. I think that the 1913 (Patton) sword would be my preference to use over the British 1908 sword had I to choose one for battle.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fred; 08-06-2016 at 08:08.

Of course the machine gun made both the sword and the cavalry obsolete except for scouting purposes.
    There was ONE US cavalry charge in WW1. They got halfway to the German lines only because the germans couldn't believe what they were seeing!

I think there was also a charge of Philipine horse cavalry against the Japanese near a peninsula where the Japanese came ashore.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    They only had one, Patton's driver called the one he was carrying a stick when Patton wore 3 stares.

F. Guffey
    And when was the last time Patton was seen carrying a sword?

F. Guffey

6. Default

I looked up Patton's promotions once. Between his regular army promotions and his army of the United states promotions, he could have had a bunch of swords made.
    And his driver called it a 'stick'. I was watching a documentary on the history channel, one of his granddaughters displayed one of his quirts. Does anyone ever wonder why his driver called it a stick?

F. Guffey

7. Default

And his driver called it a 'stick'. I was watching a documentary on the history channel, one of his granddaughters displayed one of his quirts. Does anyone ever wonder why his driver called it a stick?
    His driver called 'it' a stick because the driver thought It looked like a sharp pointed knife that was used to stick people. All Patton had to do was push a button to separate the handle from the sheathe.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 04-16-2020 at 09:09.

8. Default

In an interview with his driver the history channel recalled Patton was almost thrown from his jeep. The driver claimed Patton reached over with his stick and raised his helmet up and out of his eyes and then asked him if he could see better.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 05-29-2020 at 08:24. Reason: change a to an

OP is over 7 years old.
    The Rifleman was set in the 1880's. GS was born in 1885. So there was barely a Patton, never mind a sword.
    GS was a bit nuts thinking swords would be used anywhere but on a parade square. However, Canadian Militia officers were told to send their swords to their Regimental armourer to be sharpened in August of 1914. So GS wasn't alone.
    "...a "broad arrow" stamp..." Only indicates British Army property.
    Spelling and grammar count!

10. Default

GS was a bit nuts thinking swords would be used anywhere but on a parade square.
    The driver claimed Patton reached over with his stick and raised his helmet up and out of his eyes and then asked him if he could see better.
    And the stick was not a stick, to me it looked like a spiked bayonet. Patton could have been looking for the element of surprise.

F. Guffey