Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Anderson "Patton" sword knife on The Rifleman..

Was watching "The Rifleman" on a recent Sat. am. at work. In an episode where some lumbermen were looking for a "renegade" Indian who did some wrong...the Indian was hiding in Lucas' barn and Mark found him, he threatened Mark w/a knife that was clearly a red handled, Anderson, of Glendale CA fighting knife, made from the hilt section of a Patton sword. I really thought that was cool....maybe a little inconsistent w/the time...but very cool. Man they could squeeze a lot of story into a 1/2 hr show back then.
    Last edited by ares64; 12-16-2014 at 05:19.

2. Default

I was in Peabody, Mass. when the subject of collecting came up as in 'anything new' lately. I filled them in on a few collectables I added. They offered to remove an item from a vault if I had any curiosity. They had a General Patton small sward/stiletto complete with his name and two stars. I assumed he had one made for every promotion.

F. Guffey

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    I was in Peabody, Mass.
    my home town

Just a note, Patton didn't invent a sword, he simply copied the British one. The scabbard is identical as is the blade and hand guard. There is a minor difference in the grip

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
    my home town
    I was complaining about the difficulty in finding the town, I was informed it would be easier if I could pronounce it.

F. Guffey

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Just a note, Patton didn't invent a sword, he simply copied the British one. The scabbard is identical as is the blade and hand guard. There is a minor difference in the grip
    He copied the French model and their method of using a sword on horse back. The US Cav. was trained to slash, thus the curved blade, while the French had a straight blade, held it straight like a lance and stabbed. He changed the US Cav.'s practice and was one of the top fencers in the world. Competed in Olympics and finished 3-4th, near the top. First US Officer to be named 'Master of the Sword'.
    You can never go home again.

7. Default

http://www.pattonhq.com/sword.html

The small knife/sword/saber they removed from the safe was unlike any knife/saber/sword I have ever seen, it was unique and it was different.

F. Guffey

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    He copied the French model and their method of using a sword on horse back. The US Cav. was trained to slash, thus the curved blade, while the French had a straight blade, held it straight like a lance and stabbed. He changed the US Cav.'s practice and was one of the top fencers in the world. Competed in Olympics and finished 3-4th, near the top. First US Officer to be named 'Master of the Sword'.
    If Patton copied the french sword, why does the blade on mine have a "broad arrow" stamp?

9. Default

They offered to remove an item from a vault if I had any curiosity. They had a General Patton small sword/stiletto complete with his name and two stars.

F. Guffey
    General Patton's driver called it a stick.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 08-02-2016 at 07:45.

Blog Entries

I was in Peabody, Mass. when the subject of collecting came up as in 'anything new' lately. I filled them in on a few collectables I added. They offered to remove an item from a vault if I had any curiosity. They had a General Patton small sward/stiletto complete with his name and two stars. I assumed he had one made for every promotion.

F. Guffey
    I looked up Patton's promotions once. Between his regular army promotions and his army of the United states promotions, he could have had a bunch of swords made.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur