1. Default Model 1898 Krag rifle

I guess my previous post about this fell victim to the server upgrade...so here goes again.

We bought this rifle from a private party in 2006 for $625.00. I finally took it out to the range last week. It functions flawlessly and is very accurate at 100 yds. I am documenting my rifles so that if anyone besides me ever has to sell them, they'll at least have an idea what they are worth. The stock has been refinished and has no cartouches visible which I know is not good. Other than that I don't know enough about Krags to know whether other parts are correct or not. By serial number this one was made in 1901.

I would appreciate any information anyone has to share about this rifle based on the pictures linked below. Any ideas about current value would be helpful as well. Thanks.
    Brad
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/17B4BD0C31B6E35

As did my response, and some discussion of the present "soft" market. Bottom line, in some haste, nice rifle, but probably worth about what you paid.

You got a good deal at $625. Yeah, it has some "issues" for a collector. But as a representative example, not bad at all.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    You got a good deal at $625. Yeah, it has some "issues" for a collector. But as a representative example, not bad at all.
    Thanks. I was looking for a "representative example" Krag when this one came along. It is nearly impossible to find one around here that hasn't been sporterized, and even those are rare. I hoped to find the long rifle, but certainly would have bought a carbine had I found one. I thought the price was in the ballpark when I got it. The fact that it shoots well is gravy IMO.
    Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 12-17-2014 at 07:03.

Watch out for that "representative example" jazz - I wanted one of those and ended up with SIX (so far!)!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis