Default Another 1896 carbine reported.

A gentleman new to Krags reported purchasing an 1896 carbine on the CMP Forum and I told him I'd post the link to his pictures. The serial number is 31727, well within the range of '96 carbines. It appears to have all the characteristics of a carbine, but I told him that it was worth posting the pictures for your evaluation. The stock lacks an inspection stamp (as my 77205 carbine lacks one).

Here is the link to a number of pictures:

http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/Bo...?sort=3&page=1

Oh, did I mention he paid $900???
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Terrible pics, but the gun looks 100% correct, uniform color, etc., barring being completely sure about the sight - but I THINK I can see the little dip at the slider notch - also could have a lug leaf.

Great deal, have seen much worse for much more, but I HOPE that $900 was some sort of fluke - would hate to think that that much air has gone out of the balloon.

It appears to be a nice Model 1896 Carbine.
    The 'photobucket' pictures are a bit confusing. I believe this gentleman has mixed pictures of his Model 1896 Carbine with some shots of a rifle with 'flat' butt-plate, 'long' wrist & 1892 Sight and another rifle with a Model 1896 Rifle sight & hand-guard and an Italian walnut stock. (If I am not mistaken).
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 12-09-2014 at 09:40.

No, you are correct - I just assumed that was his entire Krag bucket, and stuck to only the carbine pics. Can you see the slider dip?

I'll contact him and see if I can get a clarification.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Hello guys. Im the owner of this carbine. I also go by Boydo on the CMP forums and Gunboards. I contacted Rick the Librarian on the CMP when I first got the opportunity to purchase the gun. He gave me a few things to look for because I know very little about Krags. Im glad to hear that the gun is correct. The other pictures that you guys see are of another krag that is available for purchase. It is a model 1892 converted to 1896, this is what rick has told me. I have deleted the pics of the rifle from my carbine album. Dick, what do I need to do to make better pics? Is there too much glare? If I need to take better pics so that you can see something better on the gun I can do it. Please let me know, the more info I can get the better.
    Last edited by Boydo; 12-09-2014 at 09:53.

I have taken better outdoor pictures of the rifle and uploaded them to the photobucket album. I hope you guys can see these better and get a better perspective as to what the rifle really looks like. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Looks fine to me, parts-wise, with the only possible concern being that it looks like someone may have tried to cold-blue the receiver. The side-plate appears to match the rest of the metal, but the receiver seems way too dark, by contrast. First pictures were lit OK, but were not in focus. Rear sight looks good all the way. A very good purchase.

9. Default

I agree with the re blue, looks like the barrel got it too. Still a very nice piece!!